Sign in to follow this  
PeacockBlue

Getting a nanny cam

I have a one year old son and after a year of working from home I need to start going to my office from this June. We have decide to keep a nanny but the recent stories about abusive nannies have been lowering our spirits. Me and my husband have decide to keep a security cam at home so that we can monitor how the nanny is taking care of our baby, we also read a blog on it, http://www.calgaryalarm.com/blog/nanny-cam/4-benefits-of-a-nanny-cam/. We are confused whether to use normal CCTV cameras or covert cameras to secretly monitor them. Which would be a better idea? Any suggestions?

You'll have to decide if you want to catch or deter the nanny.

My opinion is always to install overt cameras (but don't have to disclose to them the exact coverage) rather than covert cameras unless you already suspect something wrong is ongoing and want to catch it in action.

Being human, people tends to do stupid things when they think no one's watching.

I think you would rather things not happens to your son, rather than things happened.

Catch

* hidden cams

* sometimes you already suspect something bad, but going public with your suspicion might be bad for you (company wanting to fire an employee, but without proof might face a lawsuit, etc.), so a hidden cam helps you get the information to act (or not act)

* you're willing to risk using a bad thing happening to catch the act

This is more common with employers that suspect employees doing things over the long term. Such as a business where the employees were taking company materials, loading it up on company trucks, and going out and doing their own work for customers and keeping all the money. In this case, the business was willing to risk losing a few thousand dollars of materials in order to figure it out, find which employees were doing it, and try to reach out to the customers they were losing. In the long run, the few thousand dollars of materials (that was pretty much used as bait) they lost was offset by the tens-of-thousands they brought back into the business.

Deter

* Cams out in the open

* You don't want to risk something bad happening

My opinion is always to install overt cameras (but don't have to disclose to them the exact coverage) rather than covert cameras unless you already suspect something wrong is ongoing and want to catch it in action.

+1 on that