Sign in to follow this  
tomclark

Board camera night use

Hi all,

some help needed please.

I bought this board camera (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111561988382?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ) because it was small and had a 6mm lens.

It has a very good picture, but I do not know how to take advantage of its claimed night use.

Of course there is no documentation, and when I asked the supplier ( China of course ) they said that the CDS socket was for the LEDs. I can't see how that can be, as the loose lead and plug has 12V on it, maybe for a LED board?

The CDS socket is empty and the IR CUT lead goes to the front lens, presumeable for the IR CUT mechanism, which does not activate at night, which is not surprising as there is no visible cell to detect dark.

Does it just need a CDS ciruit plugged into the CDS socket, and of what design, voltage or signal?

Any help gratefully received Regards Tom

Hi Tom.

The CDS is a light dependent resistor (LDR). It is part of the LED light boards like these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20160520030659&SearchText=ir+led+board+for+cctv

The LDR is the small thing with the tube fitted over it. I expect it's connected directly to the CDS connector.

You'll probably need to do some soldering to get one of the lights boards set up, as they don't appear to come with connecting leads.

BTW, their 20-50m distance claim is often lies. It depends on how sensitive your camera is, and the one you linked to (1.0lux at F1.2) isn't very sensitive to low light.

I also would have expected the camera's IR OUT connector to go to the IR board, so the camera can control it. Instead it goes to the lens, so not sure how the LEDs will be turned off during the day?! You might end up having both the lens and LEDs connected to the IR OUT socket.