MRWHITE35

Trying to get my CCTV viewable online

I am trying to get my CCTV viewable online, all the ports on the router are open, I can see the cameras successfully on my network but not from anyone else's computer, what's the best way to do it?

PS GV-800 software version 7.05

Thank you for the reply, I currently have Mcafee firewall running do i need to uninstall this? Also I entering the IP address of the gv-800 PC which is 192.168.0.3 that is what I have been given by the router, is this correct or do I enter the IP address?

Yes, but please make sure there is a firewall between the computer and the internet at some point. Ideally this is a router of some kind.

Thank you for the reply, I currently have Mcafee firewall running do i need to uninstall this? Also I entering the IP address of the gv-800 PC which is 192.168.0.3 that is what I have been given by the router, is this correct or do I enter the IP address?

Have you solved your problem? If not continue reading....

When you mentioned that you are entering the IP address of "192.168.0.3" do you mean that is the IP address you are entering to access the CCTV system from the Internet? Or are you mentioning that is the IP address you have configured your router to forward HTTP request to?

If that is the IP address that you are entering to access the CCTV system from the Internet it is incorrect. You will need to enter the public IP address that has been assigned to your network from your Internet service provider. You can find out the public IP address by looking at the status page in your routers configuration.

If you are using a GeoVision system you might want to consider configuring the DDNS application so that you can just enter a fully qualified URL instead of an IP address. If you are using another type of CCTV system you should take a look at http://www.dyndns.com/. Dyndns.com can be used to configure a dynamic dns name for your IP address that will allow you to use a URL instead of an IP address. Dyndns.com offers a free service that you can configure up to 5 free dynamic names and other services.

Good Luck.

Yes, but please make sure there is a firewall between the computer and the internet at some point. Ideally this is a router of some kind.

Yes it is a netgear router

Have you solved your problem? If not continue reading....

When you mentioned that you are entering the IP address of "192.168.0.3" do you mean that is the IP address you are entering to access the CCTV system from the Internet? Or are you mentioning that is the IP address you have configured your router to forward HTTP request to?

If that is the IP address that you are entering to access the CCTV system from the Internet it is incorrect. You will need to enter the public IP address that has been assigned to your network from your Internet service provider. You can find out the public IP address by looking at the status page in your routers configuration.

If you are using a GeoVision system you might want to consider configuring the DDNS application so that you can just enter a fully qualified URL instead of an IP address. If you are using another type of CCTV system you should take a look at http://www.dyndns.com/. Dyndns.com can be used to configure a dynamic dns name for your IP address that will allow you to use a URL instead of an IP address. Dyndns.com offers a free service that you can configure up to 5 free dynamic names and other services.

Good Luck.

Yes I was using 192.168.0.3 to access my cameras on the Internet, I just tried entering the IP address that has been assigned by my ISP to my mobile phone with the software installed on my phone (symbian phone) but I get a connection failed.

You need to make certain that the URL you enter looks something like the following if you are using something other than port 80 on your router to forward HTTP requests:

http://71.135.70.xx:8080

Syntax:

http://:

Make certain that your Internet provider is not blocking port 80 if you are using the standard web server port for the HTTP requests.

I have just set up an account with "Dyndns.com" Everything seemed to set up ok but when I enter the name I used (URL) it points straight at my router not my CCTV PC (I have three PCs all networked together)

It sounds like you do not have the port forwarding configured in your router. Somewhere in your router there is a configuration page that will allow you to configure the port forwarding.

The port forwarding feature allows requests to be recieved by the router and be directed or "routed" to the proper host or PC on the network.

For example:

You mentioned that the local IP address of your CCTV PC is "192.168.0.3". You need to configure a line on the port forwarding page to route all the HTTP request your router receives to the IP address "192.168.0.3". You will specify the port to use for your web server on the port forwarding configuration as well. The default port for HTTP requests is port 80. However as I mentioned before some Internet providers block port 80. In that case you will need to configure the web server on your CCTV PC to use another port. Another popular port for a web server that usually works in this case is "8080".

If you are able to get to your router from the Dyndns account URL that you created most likely your Internet provider is not blocking port 80. But if you are seeing the router you do not have the port forwarding configured properly.

For some strange reason my GV 800 PC is now on 192.168.0.2 on my network, the router I'm using is a netgear DG834G. In services on the router the following ports are open 80 / 4550 / 5550, in the routers firewall settings they are set to allow always. In the Geovision software I have TCP and WebCam switched on, I have disabled Mcafee firewall.

For some strange reason my GV 800 PC is now on 192.168.0.2 on my network, the router I'm using is a netgear DG834G. In services on the router the following ports are open 80 / 4550 / 5550, in the routers firewall settings they are set to allow always. In the Geovision software I have TCP and WebCam switched on, I have disabled Mcafee firewall.

I have just seen a setting in my router dynamic DNS I have just enabled it and set up the host name username password etc I don't know if it will do any good

Im having similar problem but y go a step further, i go to other computers go to my url y setup with a ddns, y get the web client but no images

I have just seen a setting in my router dynamic DNS I have just enabled it and set up the host name username password etc I don't know if it will do any good

You definitely need to either setup your router to "talk" to dyndns.org or you have to run a small piece of software that will contact dyndns.org if your IP address changes.

They have to know somehow what your IP address is...

I think Netgear is ok to use their internal dynamic DNS updater, but Dlink for example has been banned (by dyndns.org) from using the internal updater, instead you have to run a program that will periodically look at your IP address, and if it changes, the program will go to dyndns.org and update it. (I have a Dlink, so I'm running the program...)

You are on the right track...

Also, I suspect you have to set your PC to have a static IP address, otherwise your port forwarding may not work. Typically you would forward ports 80, 4550, and 5550 to 192.168.0.2. But if you have your router and PC setup up for DHCP, the router will assign an internal IP address to your computer, if it's not the same one you port-forwarded to, then you won't be able to access your video server from the internet.

Others can chime in, but for me, I prefer to set a static IP on my PC's (even my laptop), and turn off DHCP on the router.

Try that to see if it helps...