jmcu

Mobile Unit build

I set out to put together a mobile camera unit that I could film everything from wildlife, real estate to local sporting events.

I wanted a telescoping PTZ that I could use year round to include cold weather. I live in upstate NY so it can get pretty cold here.

Most mast are pneumatic with electric winches, but after looking into these I found out they can be troublesome in cold weather, not to mention the price was between $8000-15000 for mast, compressor and winch.

So I decided on a manual crank mast that can be used year round, so I ordered one from China.

1.9 meters lowered and 5.8 extended.

Next came about how to mount the mast.

I had a friend fabricate a hitch that I can lock to my vehicle and powder coated it

The mount has 3 pins under the baseplate. When removing the middle pin the mast can fold back and be lowered to the ground to mount the camera.

Remove 2 pins and the mast and baseplate come off with the mast, the last pin holds the hitch mount and upright support to the vehicle.

Mast weight alone is about 80 lbs, the mount unit is about the same weight.

Electric.

I wanted to put a inverter in my vehicle for AC so I settled on a Xantrax PROwatt SW 1000. It has 900w with 2000w surge. This is a true sine wave output so it is good for electronics.

I will not even come close to the rated wattage, but you never know what you could use 900w for.

The big scratch on the top is finding out it didn't fit under the seat very well with out removing the blower duct under the seat.

I installed a Odyssey 34r battery. It is a dual purpose deep cycle 68Ah. It will not carry the load non stop so I need to start the vehicle after a while so I am not walking home.

I didn't have room for a second battery setup.

I have a Honda eu2000i generator for longer events.

Camera is a Dahua 4mp SD6C430U-HN.

NVR Dahua 5208-4ks2 with 6TB WD purple HDD

Controller- NKB3000

I am still fine tuning it and getting all the bugs out but this is what I came up with so far.

288810_1.jpg

288810_1.jpeg

288810_2.jpg

288810_3.jpg

288810_4.jpg

288810_5.jpg

288810_1.jpg

288810_6.jpg

288810_7.jpg

288810_8.jpg

Just a couple of ideas.

Try fitting a second battery and fit a split charge relay.

This ensure that if you flatten the battery used for the CCTV, the car will still start.

Also you can consider fitting a fuel cell generator for longer use projects.

The camera, site on the top of the mast will be prone to camera shake in windy conditions, so you can consider using a PTZ camera with anti shake software (real-time video stabilization).

Lastly think about fixing a CCTV warning sign on the vehicle if this is required (it is good practice to let people know if you are viewing or recording them anyway).

Hope this helps

Ilkie

Hi. Jmcu

Nice clean job. We supplied similar dahua equipment to Milwaukee racing. Who used a similar setup to yours last race season. Then sold it on . We was asked buy the new owner to help with a video wall to be mounted by the camera 9x60inch with the dahua video wall controller. (The wall is only used for events) but that also gives him a income from displaying advertisements

But what you have built gives you so much income opportunity I hope it goes just as well for you.

Another add on option is dahuas speed detection and licence plate detector.

But nice job ...... You need another suv now as yours is going to be rented out

Just a couple of ideas.

Try fitting a second battery and fit a split charge relay.

This ensure that if you flatten the battery used for the CCTV, the car will still start.

Also you can consider fitting a fuel cell generator for longer use projects.

The camera, site on the top of the mast will be prone to camera shake in windy conditions, so you can consider using a PTZ camera with anti shake software (real-time video stabilization).

Lastly think about fixing a CCTV warning sign on the vehicle if this is required (it is good practice to let people know if you are viewing or recording them anyway).

Hope this helps

Ilkie

I thought about a second battery but I didn't want to mod out under the hood to fit a second one in, instead went for the Honda EU2000i for longer events.

Only pulling about 100w so I can go for a while before having to start up the vehicle. More testing needed to see just how long.

You are correct about the shake in the wind. It is not too bad without the vehicle running in a 25mph wind. I am coming up with a guy strap to stiffen up the upper mast to see if it helps.

Hi. Jmcu

Nice clean job. We supplied similar dahua equipment to Milwaukee racing. Who used a similar setup to yours last race season. Then sold it on . We was asked buy the new owner to help with a video wall to be mounted by the camera 9x60inch with the dahua video wall controller. (The wall is only used for events) but that also gives him a income from displaying advertisements

But what you have built gives you so much income opportunity I hope it goes just as well for you.

Another add on option is dahuas speed detection and licence plate detector.

But nice job ...... You need another suv now as yours is going to be rented out

Thanks tomcctv,

I am not familiar with the speed detection, I will have to take a look.

Not happy with their new cameras so far. The menu controls are in the web service and not in the cameras menu. Not sure what cameras are like this but I don't care for it at all. I have a couple other 2mp PTZ's and they are not like this.

I just got it completed so I hope to work out a few kinks before "renting it out " lol

Very well done! I like it!

For some of my remote construction site projects, I've been using some Dahua 12v PTZs as I don't have a generator handy (solar + batts...which is kinda pricey$$$), so I try to keep the juice-usage low...so I just stay 12v DC and avoid the DC-AC inverter altogether. But if you've got an engine, whether the vehicle engine or a gas generator, then sure, go with the inverter setup.

Winching (not the Pirate version...y'arrrrr!)

The electric winches do sell well to end customers, so I have them on some remote applications. But adding a high-juice-draw device like the winch adds more stuff to the system...which adds more weight and complexity.

Yeah...it sells well, but for the remote systems that I rent out and service myself, using a hand winch keeps the system simpler and seemingly lower maintenance.

After testing the rig out a few times I am pretty pleased except filming in windy conditions.. And the blind spot while doing a 360 pan.

I have a little "sway" if I am moving around in the vehicle or if it is a real windy day.

I am able to run the unit at least 3+ hours without having to start the vehicle to charge up the battery.

I am sure I can go longer but time will tell. I am only pulling <75w with everything on.

Here are some shots with the 4mp PTZ, I am changing it out with a 8mp PTZ shown below, to rid the blind spot and with a anti shake damper.

290392_1.jpg

290392_4.jpg

290391_1.jpg

290391_4.jpg

290392_2.jpg

290392_3.jpg

Hello Sir,

My name is Khalid, i am from Kashmir, India. I have been into this business from past 3 years now. The technology is not so volatile here so its quite normal still here when it comes to cctv. Now as i am of the engineering background i did some R&D on my own level and came up with a solution for some of my clients just the same way you have demonstrated not particularly the same but at least the idea was identical. Now i just wanted to know how was the experience and did you actually find any loopholes till now when the PTZ is at full height and the vehicle is moving>

And if there are such solutions in your bucket i would love to work on them in here and come up with something cool.

Hi Khalid,

I do not have the mast all the way up when I am moving the vehicle,

I will only move a short distance with it about 1/3 of the way up.

I can tell you I do like the new camera I installed that is a vehicle mount with damper for vibrations.

The camera is much more solid in movement, allowing it to stay in any direction without moving while I am driving down the road.

I also can pan 360 without the mount being in the way.

This also allows me not having to be backed into the area I want to film, being able to film in all directions.