edteach

New to the forum and have a few questions I hope I can help

I want to buy a system, that has 3 to 4 wireless cameras, can be accessed by smart phone over the net, has record capability not on the cloud but at home and since I am on a budget not expensive. I was hoping to get something decent that I can access from my phone for around 3 to 500.. Any help would be appreciated.

There's multiple options to choose from that should work fine.

For that kind of money, you may be looking at individual cameras that record to an SD memory card. Depending on the size of the memory card, the bitrate of the video quality you set it as, and whether you set it up for motion-only recording...then you may get several days to a week or two of recording out of such a setup.

Going with a setup with a DVR/NVR, then you can add whatever size hard drive to the DVR/NVR and get a whole lot more storage.

The DVR/NVR would go over your budget though.

Then again, a quality system goes over the budget as quality systems just aren't that low cost.

Back to budget...Yeah, you could do a few 1-2 megapixel (720P or 1080P) cams. And you'd be able to see them on your smartphone...most all of them do that these days. Depending on the smartphone app...you may be able to see all cams on your phone on one screen. Some apps though only show one cam at a time.

Wireless

In 2016, it's simply not as reliable as wired. So every week or three, a cam will go offline and you'll need to reboot it, etc.

And even with a wireless cam, you'll still need to get a wire to it for power.

Budget #2

You could go down (way down) to D1 or 960H on your budget...but that's like crap video...1930's era of video quality.

Stay with either IP cameras or go with a High Def version of analog (SDI, TVI, CVI, AHD, etc.). An issue with one of those alphabets is that once you go down that road...then you stay on that road. If you get CVI, then you stick with CVI (unless you start over).

There's multiple options to choose from that should work fine.

For that kind of money, you may be looking at individual cameras that record to an SD memory card. Depending on the size of the memory card, the bitrate of the video quality you set it as, and whether you set it up for motion-only recording...then you may get several days to a week or two of recording out of such a setup.

Going with a setup with a DVR/NVR, then you can add whatever size hard drive to the DVR/NVR and get a whole lot more storage.

The DVR/NVR would go over your budget though.

Then again, a quality system goes over the budget as quality systems just aren't that low cost.

Back to budget...Yeah, you could do a few 1-2 megapixel (720P or 1080P) cams. And you'd be able to see them on your smartphone...most all of them do that these days. Depending on the smartphone app...you may be able to see all cams on your phone on one screen. Some apps though only show one cam at a time

Wireless

In 2016, it's simply not as reliable as wired. So every week or three, a cam will go offline and you'll need to reboot it, etc.

And even with a wireless cam, you'll still need to get a wire to it for power.

Budget #2

You could go down (way down) to D1 or 960H on your budget...but that's like crap video...1930's era of video quality.

Stay with either IP cameras or go with a High Def version of analog (SDI, TVI, CVI, AHD, etc.). An issue with one of those alphabets is that once you go down that road...then you stay on that road. If you get CVI, then you stick with CVI (unless you start over).

Well I decided to put a toe in the water with a Samsung SNH-P6410BMR, they go for around 200 but I picked up a refurbished by factory one for 99 bucks delivered. It will give me a way to start, I can access it by smart phone, set it to motion and even what area to motion detect. If I want more and like the camera I can add on, and it takes a SD Micro card to record hard to the camera.

Yup, the little wifi cams do get a lot of capabilities. They still have the wireless issue of going offline, but such is the nature of our wireless at this time.

I haven't worked with the SNH-P6410BMR before. I've done the SNH-1011 that people have bought and wanted me to con-fiddle for them. They do remote viewing, they do record, and the little software gizmos. One annoyance for the smartphone app for the SNH-1011 though is it won't show more than one camera on the screen at a time.

Yup, the little wifi cams do get a lot of capabilities. They still have the wireless issue of going offline, but such is the nature of our wireless at this time.

I haven't worked with the SNH-P6410BMR before. I've done the SNH-1011 that people have bought and wanted me to con-fiddle for them. They do remote viewing, they do record, and the little software gizmos. One annoyance for the smartphone app for the SNH-1011 though is it won't show more than one camera on the screen at a time.

I don't think this will split screen either, but you can add cameras and tap which one you want to view. But with small screens on smart phones I don't see it a big problem. Its a start.