Sign in to follow this  
svencam

Security camera setup advise for self storage buildings.

Greetings all. I have been researching for quite some time now on the best solution for my situation and was hoping for some advice. I have installed a few turnkey indoor systems, but this situation is a bit more involved. I am wanting to monitor some self storage buildings in the most cost effective way possible. We will have one unit reserved for our use to house a dvr or computer for recording. I do not need any kind of remote viewing via pc or mobile, I simply need to be able to check footage if an issue is to arise. I have attached a simple diagram of the buildings and where the cameras would be located.

Will the fact that there is no climate control in the unit where the equipment will be housed an issue? I live in an area that can get both pretty hot (upwards of 100F) and below freezing in the winter. Will I need a climate controlled room to even consider setting something up? Is there some kind of solution for this, like an insulated/ventilated housing for the NVR/PC?

Does anyone have any general information on the most cost effective solution? I was leaning towards a PoE setup because of the flexibility with longer cable runs. Could each building have a 4 port PoE switch that runs to the cameras and then a single data cord that runs to where the system is housed? I was just hoping to have a couple of ideas and a bit more knowledge before I contact the vendors I have looked at for the equipment.

safecams.thumb.jpg.bb867302247feb272ce635e42113c971.jpg

The Hikvision cams and NVRs that I've been using in Arizona, they've dealt with the heat well.

95% of the time, the NVR is indoors, but for the few that have to live without air conditioning, they still work fine.

But I do keep them in the shade.

And I do install a fan on whatever enclosure or the NVR will heat up the enclosed space higher than the 115 degrees that it is outside.

Hard drives and POE switches do ok, but they do have to be replaced more often (every few years).