Hoernigs

Manufacturer Comparison

I currently have a system under design for a multiple site housing complex. Each site has from 8 to 40 cameras. I had specified Vicon/Pelco. My client came back to me asking about some other manufacturers. I was wondering if anyone knows how they compare.

The alternates are Toshiba, GE Kalatel, & Integral.

Thanks in advance.

Micah

Toshiba is more mid range like Sanyo, actually Sanyo is better at least as far as the cameras.

GE Kalatel, well kalatel has been doing CCTV from the beginning, as good as or better than most pelco products. Pelco has some good unique products though.

The other 2 I dont know.

One brand doesnt cut it in the CCTV world, you need to pick the best camera for the application regardless of the brand.

There isnt any one brand that makes all the best products.

Are you looking for product or product support?

Although Pelco may not be the Mercedes Benz of the CCTV industry as they once were, good luck finding better product support and customer service ANYWHERE than you find with Pelco! They are #1 in my book.

Hi, I have benn using GE/Kalatel products for over 8 years. I think they have some really good products. Their PTZ is a really good product also.

i am not ever set on a certain brand. Because technology is always changing. I look for new technologies and better performing equipment all the time. Some product manu. will have some excellent products and some worthless products. I dont think it is good to limit yourself to one manufact as you will limit yourself in solutions that you provide.

But then again that is just my personal opinion. I could be wrong.

I agree - go by product rather than specific manufacturer. Pelco does, as stated, have excellent support. GE seems to be lacking a little in the support area - and Samsung GVI - forget about it - try getting a hold of one of their techs from my experience very difficult.

I called Samsung GVI support 2x last week, got right through, excellent support. But you gotta know the right number to call. They are based in Texas. ( I was pulling my hair out trying to get a remote location setup, meanwhile it was my cat5 patch cord 2 pairs were open #^%$^#@@#^@&@&)

One thing I did notice about the Samsung GVI, is that you need to log in as admin to playback recorded video. That means that I had to give admin rights to everyone, and that means they can easily access the setup menu and change the DVR setup. Not a good thing.