MikeRatcliffe

Decent IP Cam with good night vision for baby monitor

I have three 3 year olds and need to replace my baby monitor.

Looking at baby monitors online they all seem bad, i.e. bad night vision, terrible resolution etc.

What would you guys use?

The fast-n-simple-(and kinda low cost) is one of the myriad of wifi cams out there. Nest Cam was one of the big advertisers, but there's a zillion cams out now just like them and do just as well for less cost.

Wifi cams are typically indoor cams, and being Wifi, easy to plug in and go for viewing from the smartphone.

But on the down side, wifi is not a solution for install and forget for months and months...they disconnect once in a while meaning a reboot (typically they'll go days or weeks without a needed reboot).

But for the reliable better-than-99.99% solution, it means a wired solution. A nice IP camera (such as Hikvision as we see on here mentioned many times) wired via Cat5/6 cable to your network. Some of these do have SD-card recording on the camera and you can log in on the camera directly. Or you can use an NVR for more storage and other options. I've been liking Hik's "Exir" series for general use.

Perfect... I should have mentioned that each room in the house has an ethernet port so wired makes the most sense.

I am looking at the DS-2CD2122FWD-I(W)(S)... that seems good as long as I can speak to the kids through it.