Sign in to follow this  
Copyright

Bought a new House.. advise on doing my own security setup..

Recently purchased a new home (single story) and could really use some advice on a security camera setup. I have a $500 budget and need 4 cameras for now with the possibility of 4 more later on. I used to do electrical work so running cables should not be to hard for me depending on fire blocks etc in this home. I know I want night vision and a phone app option. I can do this with a DVR (I do have a spare monitor) or I also have a PC and could do IP camera's but not sure what option is best. I have been doing a lot of reading and have been mostly left confused about 960H vs 720P and with the enormous amount of options out there I am unsure what is considered good quality and what isn't. Thanks in advance for any advice.

its 2016...look for an ip setup that is 1080p. See costco.

Not sure what you mean about 2016. Just any IP 1080p camera at costco will do?

I mean its 2016, the year. 720p is not mainstream anymore. 960h is HORRIBLE.

No, you need to do your research. Start reading and learning.

For home application, D1/960H/720P/1080P would be fine. I mean they are not necessarily to be IP cameras,costing more. And More than 1080P could be over-kill.

For home application, D1/960H/720P/1080P would be fine. I mean they are not necessarily to be IP cameras,costing more. And More than 1080P could be over-kill.

Glad to see Sunny!

You start to recommend 1080P cameras

one day you will mention 3MP and more

Glad to see Sunny!

I hope the day would come soon when all monitors we are getting, by default, at least UHD-4K or UHD-8K and as low as less than U$200.

I mean its 2016, the year. 720p is not mainstream anymore. 960h is HORRIBLE.

No, you need to do your research. Start reading and learning.

I realize it's 2016.... I have been doing some reading but most of the guides etc I bring up are pushing their own brand or whoever they are backing and they aren't very detailed which is why I came to ask someone to just point me in the right direction....I have no problem doing research and my background is in IT so getting things to work should not be a problem... the problem is finding what guides are worth trusting as there is an overwhelming about of information out there and some of them contradict each other. I had more less hoped someone would mention brands that are good quality and is IP Camera's the way to go? Amcrest seems to be a popular choice with fairly good reviews backing them.

If your research led you to amcrest you are not doing it right. READ forums. Also ignore anything sunnykim says, he is a china scammer. Recommending D1 resolution should be an indicator that he is just lying to you so his company can push that junk.

Buy an IP system that is 1080p. The ip systems at costco are made by dahua or hikvision. Both good companies. Long warranties and LIFETIME return option to costco.

There are other great resources and sellers but this forum does not allow mentioning them.

Glad to see Sunny!

I hope the day would come soon when all monitors we are getting, by default, at least UHD-4K or UHD-8K and as low as less than U$200.

You still dont get it. Even if your monitor is vga you can benefit from high res. Its a little know function in China, its called digital zoom. So when you zoom into a high res image AFTER the fact you get a MUCH clearer image. I guess the Chinese have not stolen the zoom technology yet....

How can you ever expect to be taken seriously if you cant understand the basic concept of zooming into a high resolution image and that a high res monitor is NOT needed for that.

Dont worry sunny, I will be he to expose your constant lying. I personally think you get a kick out of screwing over US buyers.