Sign in to follow this  
Skywatch

Cable is being cut with no explanation.

Hi all, I'm having a really bizarre problem and am at a loss for explanations, on 2 occasions the cable to one of my cameras has been cut.

First I'd notice the camera would loose it's signal. I would check all the connections and everything is fine. My next though was that rats or mice might be chewing on the cable. Went outside to investigate and found that the cable has been cut cleanly as is it were done with a knife, razor or scissors

I then suspected that vandals were breaking into the backyard and cutting the cable. So using the surveillance system itself, I narrowed down when the signal dropped and using the other cameras to see if anyone was doing it. Nothing to be found.

Inspected the cable and environment to see something else was causing it. Again, nothing. Rest of the cable is in good condition. There's no reason I can think of (short of labeling it as supernatural) why it's happening and only affecting that one cable.

Anyone else experience anything like this and might know what the culprit is?

Review the footage and see if there is anything there, I had a client who was convinced it was a local youth on his way home from the pub, looked at the rg and it looked like was cut with a knife , turned out to be a Fox!

Is it not possible too run the cable inside some steel trunking out of reach of people. Rather than keep having too re-splice the cable. It maybe you're nieghbours if the camera can observe thier property. set up an hidden camera that covers the area, Bushnell Trophy Cams would be good for this, esspecialy the Black LED Type has mine has come in useful numerous times.

If your cable runs are covered within the cameras point of view, the system is working fine (no HDD or DVR problems) and the cable gets cutted with a knife type cut and there's not video evidence of someone doing it, you should call these guys:

291255_1.jpg