Sign in to follow this  
GH75

BNC Connectors? What kind? crimp, compression, twist?

We install mostly IP but sometimes do CVI on retrofits when we can not easily run new cable and have to reterminate some lines. Currently we use these compression style fittings that we put a boot on the wire first, strip the cable, put the BNC connector on, then use a tool to compress the the boot over the BNC Connector. I can't remember the name and a quick google doesn't pull them up.

The problem is they do not seem to make the connector in an RG6 and RG59 style, and on the RG59 cable, the connectors easily pull off. Plus the connectors come from one particular vendor and I want to make things a little simpler.

What does everyone else find to be the most secure, then easiest style of BNC? I was thinking crimp, I have a tech pushing for twist on.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Whatever you do DONT USE TWIST ONs.

Both the crimp & compression are accepted types of fittings. Compression are a bit quicker to do but I preffer the crimp as you have better control over the three stages of fitting ( stripping , pin crimp & shield crimp). If your connectors are coming off then I would say your not doing them right in the first place.

I once did some sub-contract work for a (very) large global security company and found that one of their techs was not doing the crimp ons properly with the result that the connector would pull off leaving just the pin connected to the centre conductor. He had been doing this for 17 years so there are a lot of badly connected BNCs out there

Whatever you do DONT USE THE TWIST ONs

I love compression BNCs. If you get it done right, it's not gonna come off so easily...sometimes it even takes more than 30 lb to get it off the cable...for me it's the best quality connection you can use with RG cables.

Twist ons are a pain in the ass, specially in DVRs side or weather exposed cameras

I have used also this kind of connectors:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve/MLV-466466714-conector-bnc-macho-para-cable-coaxial-rg59-con-tornillo-_JM

I usually end up using a soldering iron to weld the center core to the connector, specially on DVR side connectors. It's slow, but never problems with them