Sign in to follow this  
Duncan_H

Poor night vision / IR on a Sony ANPR650 / 6-DS

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this in the wrong section, I just need some help and advice from people who know more about this than I do.

The situation is that a friend of mine has this camera in her garden to record wildlife at night. It works OK during the day (picture isn't great but it does work) but doesn't really work at night. It will 'see' things, but only if they are really close.

If you check the output of the camera at any time when it's dark it doesn't display a lot (looks like a black screen, when I would expect a B/W picture of some kind). When we review what was recorded it's always moths and things. Basically anything that gets really close to the camera seems to be picked up, but nothing else.

The camera will also record the changes as it gets dark and we have watched the picture darken, then go to B/W but then it goes black...and is like that until morning.

The camera is supposed to have up to 80 metre IR capability, but we're struggling to get more than 8 cm of visibility.

We have confirmed the IR lens switch is set to 'auto', and that everything else is in accordance with the recommended settings in the manual. We have also changed the 'shutter speed' (which is odd on a CCTV camera, isn't it? Didn't think they had shutters...) at night from 1/4000 to 1/500 and this made no difference.

We have tried with no other cameras plugged in (in case it is a power issue) and this made no difference.

We have tried playing with the IR LED dimmer (inside a hatch on the camera) and that makes no discernible difference whether it's set to max or min. Or somewhere in the middle.

The exact model is:

ANPR650/6-DS 6-60mm vari-focal

1/3" Sony Super HAD CCD II ANPR Outside IR Colour CCTV Camera

Does anyone have any ideas on why this could be happening? Any advice etc?

If you need more information please ask and I will try and provide what's required.

Thank you

Duncan_H

TL;DR

Night vision seems limited to close objects only (less than a few inches away from lens) and we have no idea why.

Hi, it seems that you have an ANPR camera - which is normally used for Automatic Number Plate Recognition on Car parks etc....and it is only 650TVL ( which was discontinued years ago) I would suggest that you get a new camera - look at AHD 1080p Varifocal bullet cameras - but can only be used on a Tribrid recorder.

Thanks, but we have returned the camera now.

I don't care that it's ANPR, or 650TVL (whatever that is) I just wanted it to work properly. It didn't, so it's gone.

I have no idea what Tribrid is either.

Thanks though.

Closed.

Thanks, but we have returned the camera now.

I don't care that it's ANPR, or 650TVL (whatever that is) I just wanted it to work properly. It didn't, so it's gone.

I have no idea what Tribrid is either.

Thanks though.

Closed.

Your friend needs someone else to help her. Do some proper research before buying again.