Sign in to follow this  
smithj8394

Axis 4K camera problem?

I bought an axis p1428-e ip camera last week for a project. It says it has 1000BASE-T which to my knowledge, correct me if i am wrong, gives a Gigabit Ethernet.

I plugged the camera into a POE switch and then into my laptop and ran a stream into both the browser and VLC player, and tried doing both 1 and 2 streams at different compression rates. It was all in MJPEG.

The best results i managed to achieve were around 150Mb/s, and even that was inconsistent. which is significantly less than 1Gb/s, although i wasnt expecting the full figure, i was expecting more.

Can anybody suggest what i may be doing wrong? or are my expectations a little high? i have bought a similar model made my dahua and am interested to see if that gives me better results.

Thanks

I believe you might be thinking about this a little differently.

I highly doubt that the camera would produce anywhere near 1gig of bandwidth let alone 100mb of bandwidth.

It gives a 10/100/1000 ethernet connection to be more compatible with switches that cusotmers might have but,

would not produce that much bandwidth. Typically a single stream would probably do around 5-15Mbps of data

depending on the scene then if you are streaming to another client aka your vlc this would be another 5-15Mbps

and i'm sure there is a max limit the camera can actually send out.

To give you an idea on bandwith, avigilon's 30megapixel camera can produce up to 48Mbps with h.264 so, your

8MP 4K camera would be much less.

Now why it's in mjpeg mode and not h.264 that should be the real question because mjpeg will use more bandwidth typically.

Now why it's in mjpeg mode and not h.264 that should be the real question because mjpeg will use more bandwidth typically.

Thanks, the delay in h.264 is too much for the application im using it for, MJPEG gives much less.

What are the specs on the switch and the laptop?

I suspect that's where the issue is.

I thought that, however they fit the spec

Not easy to find the cheap and competitive chipset to be used for h.264 compression of UHD sized video (3840X 2160X30FPS). So they probably went for MJPEG compression.

Not easy to find the cheap and competitive chipset to be used for h.264 compression of UHD sized video (3840X 2160X30FPS). So they probably went for MJPEG compression.

Wow, you really have no clue....This is an axis camera not some low end garbage.