Sign in to follow this  
stano711

Recording Timelapse videos on VMAX DVR

We have a building expansion project about to start in August. Our PR Director asked if it was possible to use our exterior security cameras to record a time lapse collection of videos spanning the year of construction. We have analog cameras connected to a DW VMax480 DVR. DW tech says we can save/backup to a thumb drive as PSF files and convert to a time lapse video via PhotoShop. Our IT person says this is a major labor intensive project and we should just buy GoPros to do this far more easily. I understand that they do not cost that much, however as a non-profit in the midst of a tight budget building project every cost is significant. My question is is this PSF file conversion process really that intense to forget and is there any other approach other than the purchase of GoPros? We appreciate any advice, thanks!

I did one of these on a medical facility and used software that allowed a frame grabber to be programmed to take a picture at a certain interval. You need that type of software (I will try and find what we used but google time lapse and framegrabber and there are a bunch. what I found is you need to be able to schedule your recording as you do not want long periods where you have no activity nights weedends etc. ALso the final product will have to be edited down to a managable size. We took video from a cameras for 7 months and had to get it down to about a 5 min video. If you want to use existing cameras you could use a powered video splitter and send the one stream to your capture device and the other to the security system

I will PM you when I find the product we used.

I did one of these on a medical facility and used software that allowed a frame grabber to be programmed to take a picture at a certain interval. You need that type of software (I will try and find what we used but google time lapse and framegrabber and there are a bunch. what I found is you need to be able to schedule your recording as you do not want long periods where you have no activity nights weedends etc. ALso the final product will have to be edited down to a managable size. We took video from a cameras for 7 months and had to get it down to about a 5 min video. If you want to use existing cameras you could use a powered video splitter and send the one stream to your capture device and the other to the security system

I will PM you when I find the product we used.

Jerome,

I have a Mac and found free software at the App store, Debut Video Capture from NCH software. I'll check it out, may or may not do what I want, please send your information anyways when you find it.

Thanks!