Sign in to follow this  
GH75

Dahua Mainstream and substream

It was my understanding:

Mainstream was the higher quality feed that was recorded and was what was viewed on the monitor or Smart PSS when going FULL screen on a single camera

Substream/second stream is what is shown on the monitor/SPSS when viewing MULTIPLE cameras.

Am I correct so far?

My situation is I have 4 properties each with 1-2 tri-brid each with mostly analog and CVI camera and maybe a total of 70 cameras max.

We are going to set up a workstation to view these cameras remotely, via the internet. The DVR's are still onsite recording, we are just viewing remotely 24/7, not recording. One big work station, 4 monitors. We already set this up at another site with more cameras, and it seems to be working fine. But lately one DVR keeps going offline every 20 minutes and wont come back online unless we reboot the PC. It is always that one DVR that goes offline.

My question is, if I lower the FPS and resolution on the SUB stream, is that enough to lower the bandwidth requirements? Or do I need to lower the Main stream as well? I had tech support tell me I had to lower the main stream as well but I do not see why.

Would something like this help monitor how much data we are pulling at any given moment?

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

anyone?

Can we discuss the difference between Main strean and sub/second stream?

Hi GH75, I just saw your post. I don't log in very often because I've sort of lost faith in these "communities." There are only a few helpful people on here. It seems that the majority of users on here are eastern-market sellers looking for ways to hack region-locked firmware with the intent to sell to to western markets.

As for your question, it sounds like you're on the right track. If the main stream is not being recorded, it should not matter. Why that DVR is going down is a bigger mystery. I don't use a DVR myself, but I have a QNAP Turbo Nas that I use as an NVR. I would try to troubleshoot that DVR. You said you have to reboot the PC, so does that mean the DVR is software running on a workstation, such as Windows?

The DVR is an appliance level DVR, basically a standalone DVR. In this situation, we have 6 to 8 DVR's across several properties.

In a central office, there is a beefed up PC running a viewing software, and it pulls video from each DVR across the internet.

At this point, I just want to know when using Smart PSS, if it pulls the sub stream or main stream when viewing multiple cameras?

What is the purpose and use of Main stream and sub stream. I can not believe with all these Dahua posts, nobody can answer

Hi. I would use the PSS and not the smart pss

PSS will give you the option to set stream for each camera.

PSS is much better for a remote option .. And easier for doing backups from remote units