zgrocerguy

cant afford digital should I get an anolog

I got a store with too much equipment costs already so I am trying to invest on a more affordable security system. I wanted to get someting for under 500 bucks(3-4 cameras, multiplexer, monitor and recorder) any suggestions? should I cough up and buy a system with a dvr or can I buy an affordable system piece by piece? if yes where???

Something to consider:

If you have equipment costs already, then could you afford to not have it secured?

To be honest, security is a lot like buying a car, yes you can buy a system without all the bells and whistles and of lower quality, but will it do the job.

Too often good security companies are beaten on quotations by competitors cutting costs, which is great for the consumer untill they actually want to prosecute the person they catch.

There are a lot of overpriced solutions and there are always systems that have things that you wont need, however you do tend to get what you pay for. You can buy a cheap standalone Mux/Quad/DVR Hybrid device for around $300 US but cameras, you will not get good ones at that price.

Hope this helped

Something to consider:

If you have equipment costs already, then could you afford to not have it secured?

To be honest, security is a lot like buying a car, yes you can buy a system without all the bells and whistles and of lower quality, but will it do the job.

Too often good security companies are beaten on quotations by competitors cutting costs, which is great for the consumer untill they actually want to prosecute the person they catch.

There are a lot of overpriced solutions and there are always systems that have things that you wont need, however you do tend to get what you pay for. You can buy a cheap standalone Mux/Quad/DVR Hybrid device for around $300 US but cameras, you will not get good ones at that price.

Hope this helped

dude you keep saying standaalones for $300 us, there are non that exists on this side of the world! :-0

You can buy them from Asia and have them imported. they cost $200 US so I assumed someone would have already been importing them. I cant imagine it costs much more than $100US to import one piece including customs and freight.

Those prices are without a hard drive so you have to add that cost in also. And when you import them you get no warranty so any bad units you have to eat the cost. Most dealers in the U.S. don't want to bother with importing their own products and would rather buy them through a distributor or importer.

Those prices are without a hard drive so you have to add that cost in also. And when you import them you get no warranty so any bad units you have to eat the cost. Most dealers in the U.S. don't want to bother with importing their own products and would rather buy them through a distributor or importer.

thanks Alan. Yep, i would then have to send them back to Korea (or wherever) andwait for a return, not worth it unless i had a ton of them in stock already. We dont have the market for that huge size of an order here yet. Ill stick with the US distributors right now.

Very good point, that is why in most of my posts I recommend going through a distributor, however you do get warranty from a manafactorer, but yes as you rightly pointed out it is at the expense of waiting for that unit to come back.

I noticed Rory that you promote Kalatel a lot in these forums and I would never like to advise anyone to shortcut a distributor, but in some cases you are paying far too much for the gear. For example you buy some cameras from Pro Video that originally come from Korea www.koreacctv.com so you are not buying from a manufactorer. The problem is that manufactorers are starting to sell direct and this will mean that you will eventually have end users buying direct and although this will only happen till something actually breaks and they have to wait for their gear to be returned.

What tends to happen is that they get exposed to the price, even if they dont buy.. this causes you grief because when you go to sell it to them they compare your price to the Manufactorers and talk you down in price.

This may not happen where you are but is a big problem for people in larger countries as there soon will be no margin at all.

Not here. The only way i can get any cheaper is to order in bulk from the manufacturer as they dont normally sell to end users in the americas. But people here can simply go online to places like www.spytown.com and see my pricing that i get from the distributor anyway, so its a little different situation for in my case. We also pay 25% customs tax on video or 42% on electronics such as alarms.

PS. i wish i was in australia

Very good point, that is why in most of my posts I recommend going through a distributor, however you do get warranty from a manafactorer, but yes as you rightly pointed out it is at the expense of waiting for that unit to come back.

I noticed Rory that you promote Kalatel a lot in these forums and I would never like to advise anyone to shortcut a distributor, but in some cases you are paying far too much for the gear. For example you buy some cameras from Pro Video that originally come from Korea www.koreacctv.com so you are not buying from a manufactorer. The problem is that manufactorers are starting to sell direct and this will mean that you will eventually have end users buying direct and although this will only happen till something actually breaks and they have to wait for their gear to be returned.

What tends to happen is that they get exposed to the price, even if they dont buy.. this causes you grief because when you go to sell it to them they compare your price to the Manufactorers and talk you down in price.

This may not happen where you are but is a big problem for people in larger countries as there soon will be no margin at all.

Thanks guys, I learned a lot from your exchanges. One of the reasons I posted this is because there are other businesses using pretty cheap surveillance. ( i know guys that spend up to 4000 on theirs but I dont want to pay more than i have to). the guy next door got his cctv from sams club for 199,also buddy of mine recommended the x10 cameras http://www.x10.com/ he said they were great for his store. I called them, they told me I needed a multiplexor to see all four cameras which i found for roughly 200 b/w, 300 color on the net. the x10 camera website offer 4 cameras, tv and recorder for under 200 bucks. ok that is cheap but better than zero cameras and even the dummy cameras that some people have in their stores? could you all tell me what is wrong with the picture as far as practicallity and (my thing is i get somthing now cheap, then if the business grows, i get more , i can afford more)

z

Problem with wireless is the limited number of frequencies available so I think 4 is the maxium you can run in a given area. Also anyone with a receiver in your proximity can watch your cameras, although that might not be a big problem. Hard wired is a much better way to go. A quad will also limit you to 4 cameras so if you are considering expanding past 4 cameras then you might want to consider paying more for a 9 camera multiplexer.

Thanks guys, I learned a lot from your exchanges. One of the reasons I posted this is because there are other businesses using pretty cheap surveillance. ( i know guys that spend up to 4000 on theirs but I dont want to pay more than i have to). the guy next door got his cctv from sams club for 199,also buddy of mine recommended the x10 cameras http://www.x10.com/ he said they were great for his store. I called them, they told me I needed a multiplexor to see all four cameras which i found for roughly 200 b/w, 300 color on the net. the x10 camera website offer 4 cameras, tv and recorder for under 200 bucks. ok that is cheap but better than zero cameras and even the dummy cameras that some people have in their stores? could you all tell me what is wrong with the picture as far as practicallity and (my thing is i get somthing now cheap, then if the business grows, i get more , i can afford more)

z

Well the X10 is not considered CCTV, its more of a joke ) It is a power line interface, if you have bad power you will not get a good picture, we can barely use them in this country, know people that just couldnt get them to work in their locations so ended up throwing it out and buying something better. And by the way the X10 look like crap, and they are not 100% wireless, you still need power. Actually not much wireless is 100% wireless, there is always the need for power.

Sams Club, Kmart, Radio Shack Etc, we never sell these, they are DIY and good luck with the picture. Cheap in , well my books is a bullet camera like from Provideo. That is worth it as it is cheaper than the more expensive beand names, but is a camera that lasts. There are cheaper brands like eclipse and COP i have used in the past but would not touch again.

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for, simple as that. Really just get what you can afford. You can always upgrade later, and prices will be lower by thhen probably or they may have specials.

Rory

I agree with all the posts above, It is not about quality of picture it is about the time it will take before it breaks, you wont find anyone in this forum that has security business selling those type of cameras unless they are a new business. I am betting your friends system is not that old?

Sometimes you get lucky, however from my experience the cheaper the camera the less time it lasts and the less quality the picture. In security you are relying on being able to prosecute the person you catch, and believe me they are indeed getting much smarter, hence the need for faster frame rates, digital technology and most importantly digital watermarking.

This is the most true statement ever " In security you get what you pay for ".. Ask your self this much..."What type of car do you drive?" "Why didnt you buy a cheaper one?"

Probably because you needed it to be reliable!

One other thing, always buy a system that will allow you to upgrade and make sure you can plug more cameras in at a later date!

I hope this helped.

thanks again, I know that is so true' you get what you pay for'. I will probably look for something affordable but upgradable for later improvements. Ihave a small grocery (700sft retail area) for now four cameras are plenty. ok so how about 1200 what can that get me?( I know ill probably not get wireless) and ill probably get dvr so illneed digital cameras?to reply to the guy from australia , I drive a toyota corrola, not a 4runner, just enough to get from a and b and i want the same with my surveillance, enough to scare people off and if and when they do steal, ill have a good chance to prosecute (but that will be someone stealing rice or a tea pot)

but your business seams attractive (dvr cctv), I see a growing market for it and it should get cheaper soon.

thanks guys

z

thanks again, I know that is so true' you get what you pay for'. I will probably look for something affordable but upgradable for later improvements. Ihave a small grocery (700sft retail area) for now four cameras are plenty. ok so how about 1200 what can that get me?( I know ill probably not get wireless) and ill probably get dvr so illneed digital cameras?to reply to the guy from australia , I drive a toyota corrola, not a 4runner, just enough to get from a and b and i want the same with my surveillance, enough to scare people off and if and when they do steal, ill have a good chance to prosecute (but that will be someone stealing rice or a tea pot)

but your business seams attractive (dvr cctv), I see a growing market for it and it should get cheaper soon.

thanks guys

z

Hi, wherer are you located and can you purchase from online and or a local distributor, if not you may end up paying retail, otherwise you can get some good wholesale type prices. The following are wholesale using some bullet cameras and a VDR (like a VCR but is digital quality, same price, but has a hard drive and a higher digital quality), does not have a remore option or audio, but is still digital. (this is only an example)

4 BW Provideo CVC-130R Bullet Cameras (0.1 lux)

@ $80 US each - $320

http://www.spytown.com/provcvbwbulc.html (not same product but similar enough - they dont seem to have the 130R - this is only $10 more)

(or Kalatels new Bullet, narrower lens but good if you want better wuality - and dont need to cover such a wide area - comes in color in day and sees in dark up to 40 feet in pitch dark - http://www.spytown.com/ktc-cbs24.html)

1 GE Interlogix Kalatel VDR -40GB - $415

http://www.spytown.com/vdr-40.html

1 Ge Interlogix Kalatel CBR-4mxQ Simplex (no motion recording - simple mux) BW 4 Channel Multiplexer - $470 ($555 for color for future camera upgrades if you wanted)

http://www.spytown.com/cbr-4msq.html

(color - http://www.spytown.com/cbr-4csq.html)

(color w/ motion recording (longer)-http://www.spytown.com/cbr-10mez.html)

Thats $1205 Wholesale cost - you can plug into RCA video input on your TV for viewing, or purchase separate CCTV monitor or TV.

Check out www.Spytown.com

(all the kalatel products -http://www.spytown.com/search--by-part-number-kalatel.html)

(all the Provideo products - http://www.spytown.com/csisproveq.html)

HOPE THis Helps some

Rory

that was fantastic, I did talk to a friend yesterday who told me her cousin is an expert/dealer that will help me and go eazy on the pricing but I think this will even be better for me.

thanks so much

z

thanks again, I feel like i am saving my self a lot of headache and money here. Now that I have an I dea where to get my stuff the only thing left is installation but I feel like it will be a valuable experience to install it my self.

z

thanks again, I feel like i am saving my self a lot of headache and money here. Now that I have an I dea where to get my stuff the only thing left is installation but I feel like it will be a valuable experience to install it my self.

z

no prob. go ahead. its fun also. One thing make sure you have a small 9" monitor or 13" TV as it helps with getting the best focused image, the CCTV 9" monitor would be the best, the color ones arent cheap though. Also a handheld will work, but you wont always be ableto get the best possible focus. Either way have something to focus with.

And remember, Radio Shack is your new best friend, if you are like me and the elctroic stores here do not carry most of the adaptors etc that I need for CCTV, Radio Shack always has them, though at a higher cost than the distribitor.

If you want to put a camera on the front door and have a monitor ceiling/wall mounted for that camera for the clients to see there is video there, make sure to get a 14" Monitor for that, or a 13" color TV will work also as a cheaper method. Wall/ceiling mounts can be purchased from any electronic store.

Extra hidden cameras over the cashiers are also handy, or in areas where there is no visible camera for catching theives, though ive usd them mostly for inhouse theft here. Smoke detector cameras (view downward) are the easiest to install.

I would still suggest the best way, 4 color dome cameras (no need for cleaning and can not be knocked so the lens doest go out of whack), and a 4 channel standalone DVR (built in mulitplexer) with LAN for remote video and connection to a local computer for easy searches of video and can burn to CD ect, easier than using the DVR itself. Though more expensive it will save on time consuming searches using the toggle on the VDR or VCR, and smaller and have more features. BUT, once you get the right cameras now, you could always sell the system you will have and buy the all in one at a later date.

Good luck.

Rory

Actually, I can get you 4 COLOR DOMES, CCD 420TVlines, Sharp Chipsets cameras, .01LUX and a 4 Port, ALNET COMPUTER BASED 30FPS DVR System, with 80GIG hard Drive(Aprx. 14 days rec on Motion only, 640X400)with both regular monitor and spot TV monitor(use a regular TV with VIDEO input, cheaper) for $1400.00

Send me an E-Mail for more info.

That's about the best in a DVR complete with all the cameras that you are going to get, go to www.alnetsystems.com for more info on the DVR, and also, you get a 2 year warranty on all items.

Actually, I can get you 4 COLOR DOMES, CCD 420TVlines, Sharp Chipsets cameras, .01LUX and a 4 Port, ALNET COMPUTER BASED 30FPS DVR System, with 80GIG hard Drive(Aprx. 14 days rec on Motion only, 640X400)with both regular monitor and spot TV monitor(use a regular TV with VIDEO input, cheaper) for $1400.00

Send me an E-Mail for more info.

That's about the best in a DVR complete with all the cameras that you are going to get, go to www.alnetsystems.com for more info on the DVR, and also, you get a 2 year warranty on all items.

Thats a good price

Do you mean a BW Dome though, just by the specs sounds like BW as most color domes dont have 0.01 lux and 420TVl, normally found in BW ??

Ill take a look around your site, looks interesting

ROry

COLOR BABY!!!!!

MY website is currently under development, by the way, Thanks for making this forum

COLOR BABY!!!!!

MY website is currently under development, by the way, Thanks for making this forum

color, cool, what brand is it, indoor/outdoor? price of dome by itself?

thanks

Also, larry is the creator of this forum

Actually, the domes are OEM, not really a any brand, but to be honest, I have been using them for the past 4 years, and I have under 1% fail on me, the cost for them to you are $55.00 shipped.

The reason they are 420 lines is becasue they are a sharp chip and yes they arent bad value for money, howver there are several grades of sharp chip and I have found that the low light ones show too much light in the day time.