Sign in to follow this  
speedco

HOME SECURITY - ROOF CAMS AIMED AT NEIGHBORS HOUSES

My neighbors and I decided on mounting cameras on each others houses .. aiming the cameras at each others house fronts.

I would have a camera mounted on my roof focused / aimed at my neighbor's house across the street And vice versa.

Then we would have full view of our houses instead of multi cam sys on house with partial views.

But, we cannot figure out how we would be able to view/control cams (thru a cellphone app) if we are using each others internet.

We are asking for help from the community with this type of system.

How can each neighbor control/view his cam when mounted on neighbors house using neighbors internet?

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Could you use wireless IP cameras configured on your own home network? ("your own internet") It's only got to get across the street, and presumably the whole point is that you have a clear line of sight..

there is an easy way, and a hard way. the easy way has limitations, and the hard way requires study and skills.

easy way: get two ASUS RT-66n router from eBay for ~$66. install DD-WRT on at least one and configure it as a client bridge. link your network to his network. you may need some directional antennas to make this work. you will be able to see his camera, he can see yours, at the house. you would need to do geek things to see it from a cellphone at work.

hard way: DDNS: Dynamic DNS. you need to do this to have the capability to see your system from any internet connection

greatly simplified: your ISP randomly changes your IP address using a system called NAT. NAT IPs are not routable over the internet. therefore, millions of people use 192.168.1.1 as their router IP. this makes it impossible to just connect to his network and vice versa, because neither of you has a very expensive static IP address, and you can't route the NAT address.

you need to port forward your camera or DVR IP to the ISP. greatly simplified:

your camera has an IP of 192.168.1.40

your router has a LAN address of 192.168.1.10

your router has a WAN address of 22.38.45.223 ( today )

you port forward 192.168.1.40 at the router

if someone tries to open the routers configuration page at 22.38.45.223 they see 192.168.1.40; the cameras web page. they are not routed to 192.168.1.40, which can't be done over the net. they are routed to 22.38.45.223, which presents the interface of 192.168.1.40 where you would expect to find the interface of 22.38.45.223

chances are your ISP is using NAT between their internet routable IP and your system, so you need to get them to port forward through their NAT system to a static IP address. many ISPs will not do this.

you need a third party DDNS service provider to finish the system. Your system updates the DDNS provider with the current chain of NAT addresses leading to a static IP address at your ISP, and assigns your system a port number. you are assigned an URL when you sign up for the DDNS system. when your neighbor connects to your URL, the DDNS system determines that he is trying to connect to your system, determines that today that means port XXXX at 22.38.45.223, which is routed through the current chain of NAT addresses leading to your port forwarded router interface, and he sees the camera interface at your camera IP of 192.168.1.40

chances are good that it will not work the first time, or the second, this is well into the geek zone.