brownstevend

To Build or to Buy, That is the question? I think :)

I'm building a new home and running Cat6 to multiple places under the eves of my home. I'm trying to decide if I am better off just buying a system or getting geeked out with building one. I'm a very "techie" guy with a computer admistration background and I like the idea of putting my own system together. I've played with the numbers and it looks like it is somewhat cost comparable to build or buy, give or take a few bucks.

Cost of putting together an i7 based PC, SSD for OS, HDD for vid. files, around $500 (already have some parts).

Cost of say 10 IP Cams around $500

Cost of POE network switch around $200

Cost of Cat 6 bulk box $130(will need this either way)

I've seen systems for for sub 1K, so I'm wondering to save money, if I should just go buy a complete system? What will I benefit from POE-IP cams vs. analog cams?

Really looking for suggestions. Feel free to give me links to products etc as well.

Also, what am i really gaining by doing IP cameras over analog. If both are 2 megapix does it matter if one is analog or ip?

I see this system listed for 689.00 and it makes me wonder if I should just do a complete analog system over a store bought IP or DIY IP system.

Analog System http://www.usasecuritystore.com/true-high-definition-full-hd-16ch-1080p-dvr-system-with-16-2megapixel-vandal-dome-camera-h80p16k2t03w-16/ I really don't need that many cameras, but maybe I'll save a few as spares, if I go that route.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated. What am I losing by going from IP to Analog for home surveillance?

you can use a stand alone NVR with built in POE if you want with out having to get a PC and a POE switch.

You will find that IP devices are becoming more common led lights door locks etc are being run on cat5/6 cable if you wire your house with coax you will be mostly limited to its use with cameras.

Whatever you do dont wire with coax. IF you choose to do analog (which is a bad idea in 2016) run ethernet and use baluns.

This way you can easily upgrade to ip cameras...There are many thread discussing analog vs ip...go ip.

Thanks guys. So, I know IP (POE) is the way of the future, but why not analog. I see there are some 720p analog cams out there, and I think I saw some 1080P. I'm not looking for world class video, but as I compare the prices of IP cams to that of Analog, it makes me wonder why not just go with analog? I'm looking to mount 16 cams all around my house, so most of my property will be covered. Actually 3 of those will be inside.

@Boogieman, thanks. I ran across the baluns on Amazon last night. I'm have networking experience, so Cat 5/6 I'm comfortable running, terminating, etc.

@jeromephone, thanks. I'm not sure I will ever adopt a network enabled lock on my front door..LOL. Just seems insecure..lol. But I do get that there are obviously other internet/network capable devices and that list is growing daily. From Nest thermostats, to the new Samsung fridge that allows you to see whats inside. So much for grocery store shopping lists...lol.

So thinking say 5 years out. Do you guys think it would be okay to go with analog cams/system and then I can upgrade as the price comes down later in the future for POE/POE enabled NVR? Obviously I'll be ready with the cat5 in place.

I've attached a pic of what I'm looking to do. The red arrows are general direction I will point the cams. Hopefully it makes sense. This drawing is for network, video, cams, etc.

Electrical-Network-Cam-Placement.thumb.jpg.5c68868a0b749bebdddc1a780774ef16.jpg

Stop being cheap on the install. You will regret it later. Six months from now you might not like the DVR interface..then you are stuck because you dont have other options...Also dont buy no name crap because its cheap...one of the most important factors in a recorder or camera is the firmware..if its not stable or does not function properly then its worthless.

Hi . The system you have a link to is AHD which is not your best option .

You can do better with the same budget but start to look at CVI they are in the same price range and you don't have to look at upgrading again at a later date

Also your link is another China p2p system ...... Why people let China have control of there CCTV system I just don't understand . And it is starting to be a big security problem for people's own personal network.

I would look at brand name equipment cvi tvi by dahua or tvi with hik

Dahua is the best option with it now running cvi tvi IP 960

Hi . The system you have a link to is AHD which is not your best option .

You can do better with the same budget but start to look at CVI they are in the same price range and you don't have to look at upgrading again at a later date

Also your link is another China p2p system ...... Why people let China have control of there CCTV system I just don't understand . And it is starting to be a big security problem for people's own personal network.

I would look at brand name equipment cvi tvi by dahua or tvi with hik

Dahua is the best option with it now running cvi tvi IP 960

What are your thoughts on this system?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01INPHG00/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Stop being cheap on the install. You will regret it later. Six months from now you might not like the DVR interface..then you are stuck because you dont have other options...Also dont buy no name crap because its cheap...one of the most important factors in a recorder or camera is the firmware..if its not stable or does not function properly then its worthless.

LOL! Thanks for the reality check..lol. I usually say that myself.