Sign in to follow this  
DONINAUSTIN

BANDWIDTH -- WHERE IS THE BOTTLENECK AND HOW TO IMPROVE?

I recently bought a 1080p/AHD DVR that overall works well despite its bargain price. I am running 7 x 1080P cameras and 5 x 960h at this time. I would like to add 4 more cameras and make them all 1080P AHD analog. This is a 16 ch DVR. However, I occasionally run into bandwidth limitations such that not all the cameras can be viewed. It is worse when somebody at the shop is viewing cameras on the LAN and I try to view from my home. The shop, (where the cameras are) has Google Fiber 1 gig up and down, so the internet connection is surely NOT the bottleneck. The LAN at the shop is all 1 gigabit. I cut frame rates down to the minimum needed -- 4-7 FPS -- and use VBR with 2048 bitrate limits.

I assume the bandwidth is limited by the DVR's processor speed? Or is it the ethernet connection in the DVR? I have no specs for what the ethernet spec is.

Where is the bottleneck and how can the bandwidth be increased? I am guessing only by spending much more on the VCR?

Thanks from Don in Austin

I recently bought a 1080p/AHD DVR that overall works well despite its bargain price. I am running 7 x 1080P cameras and 5 x 960h at this time. I would like to add 4 more cameras and make them all 1080P AHD analog. This is a 16 ch DVR. However, I occasionally run into bandwidth limitations such that not all the cameras can be viewed. It is worse when somebody at the shop is viewing cameras on the LAN and I try to view from my home. The shop, (where the cameras are) has Google Fiber 1 gig up and down, so the internet connection is surely NOT the bottleneck. The LAN at the shop is all 1 gigabit. I cut frame rates down to the minimum needed -- 4-7 FPS -- and use VBR with 2048 bitrate limits.

I assume the bandwidth is limited by the DVR's processor speed? Or is it the ethernet connection in the DVR? I have no specs for what the ethernet spec is.

Where is the bottleneck and how can the bandwidth be increased? I am guessing only by spending much more on the VCR?

If it is an AHD system, there should not be any "bandwidth" issues that will cause delays to your DVR unit. Unless it is a poorly designed DVR. Other things can be a faulty harddrive causing system instability. In other words if you are using a slower desktop harddrive instead of a CCTV harddrive, like western digitals black drive, or Seagate's SV35 range. But, that is a small possibility. If you are complaining about the remote view, even a 100mb network with cameras on this resolution should not cause problems. Since your internet is more than fast enough I would propose the processor like you stated on this dvr is of a poor quality Or the network port is a problem......

If it is an AHD system, there should not be any "bandwidth" issues that will cause delays to your DVR unit. Unless it is a poorly designed DVR. Other things can be a faulty harddrive causing system instability. In other words if you are using a slower desktop harddrive instead of a CCTV harddrive, like western digitals black drive, or Seagate's SV35 range. But, that is a small possibility. If you are complaining about the remote view, even a 100mb network with cameras on this resolution should not cause problems. Since your internet is more than fast enough I would propose the processor like you stated on this dvr is of a poor quality Or the network port is a problem......

I don't think there is any problem writing to the hard drives -- 2 WD 4 TB drives. I am suspicious of the DVR having a slow processor for one reason because it is very slow to boot up. When I look at DVRs for sale I never see processor specs nor specs for the ethernet speed. I can live with it by manipulating frame rates, bitrates etc. but would rather not. I could buy a much better DVR, but what if it did the same thing?

Don