fas

Good Wall Clock Camera Suggestions

I am looking for a nice looking color wall clock camera for an office where money is being stolen. I have seen some on the net, but most only seem to have 380 tv lines, which I don't think is enough, but those more experienced than me may know better. It must be 12 volts and have a bnc connection. The picture must be able to recognize faces. I do not think the customer needs ir as lights will be on, however, if he does need ir, do they make such a camera? Thanks for the help.

The problem with most "covert" cameras is that they are equipped with 3.6mm wide angle lenses. So you have to be strategic when placing the camera in the first place. You can check out ARM Electronics for some covert and I have had good experiences with KJB Security as well. KJB makes a really cool american brass mantle clock that is awesome!

www.armelectronics.com

www.kjbsecurity.com

Another thing is that if you client thinks the theft is internal, identifying somebody will be much easier as this person works for them, the 380 tv lines will probably be sufficient enough for this.

Thank you guys. Would you suggest any other covert method beside the wall clock? The only reason why I will probably go with it is the customer wants it. If there is a much better way, and I can convince him of it, I will try that. Thanks again.

Have had good luck with the covert smoke detectors, you get more of birds eye view. You can capture the theft and identify of the thief all from one camera. I wouldn't worry about the wide angle lens or the resolution, chances are in an office enviornment everyone knows everyone and the perpetrator will be easily identified.

I would love to go with a smoke detector because I have used them before, but the customer is set on a clock. I will see what I can do. Thanks.

My other suggestion is to go with a mini pniphole camera and hide it in some object yourself or ina wall in the room. We sell mostly KT&C for mini pinhole cameras and they come in various resolutions and lens mm's.

Just for info- some states, including New York have made covert smoke detectors illegal citing a state provision that says all smoke detectors must be operational. There have been fines issued when the cameras were detected by various building inspectors and fire marshals. There is a posting on this site with a link to an article if you're interested.

where is that article?

that sucks ... specially when smoke detectors dont do much anyway .. most they are good for is personaly safety ..

And if that is the case, then Motion Detector Cameras should be the same, as they do the same thing a smoke does, personal safety .. guess the fire marchals have more pull in those states then the cops ..

Yeah Rory... who needs personal safety anyway

If not a clock (so many coverts are junk - not just the pinhole lens but a super cheap camera with a super cheap lens producing junk images)... then...

Have found many folks like the view from a wall mounted motion detector cam better anyway - more ID potential with the right frontal view than from above... no? One can get high res versions of motion detector cams with or without working PIR... or maybe better yet as was suggested to "build you own" with a higher quality camera and a pinhole. I know GANZ has high res and lower light capable board cameras and macthing CS mount pinhole lens (needs lots of mounting depth). Much more cost of course but you should certainly expect get more out of it.

IR would take you in a different direction. Probably have to go high res B&W (not likely to find covert mini ICR camera worth a darn if at all) and of course if we're trying to be covert here than you have to go 950 on the IR (separate) and still somehow disguise it. I favor hard wired incandescents and maybe even emergency lighting in case some smartypants tries to kill lighting power before doing his(her) dirty deed. Of course battery backed lighting doesn't do much good if the camera and recorder are off. Oh heck... just hire a 24/7 guard that wakes to (battery backed) electrical shock when the door is opened.