IdahoMan

Analog vs Digital - Power Consumption?

What is the power consumption of analog cameras and DVRs compared to digital/IP cameras and DVRs?

Running

Standby

Off

What are each systems response time?

Starting up

Event trigger

I've used analog cams because I've been under the impression they are less complex and computerized (which is good). Also, my systems my need to run off a battery rather then mains.

Thank you.

IM

Power consumption (supply current) depends on the device model. Check the technical data for every camera and DVR/NVR and don't forget to add HDD consumption. Consumption is practically constant and not dependent on the states you've mentioned, only cameras with IR illumination have lower consumption in day mode. For example, small Hikvision's day/night camera consumes maximum 4 W , and 4 channel DVR 10 W.

There is no difference in power consumption between analog and HD or IP cameras, because the analog cameras are also "computerized" using DSP.

Starting (power up) time is different for each DVR/NVR. For analog and HD cameras it's almost instant but IP cameras need some time to boot up.

Event trigger is instant, motion trigger starts recording even some time ( 5s typ.) before the motion event.

Thanks almelst.

Related question: Aren't "Trail Cameras" superior to your average analog or digital system? Why or why not?

Thanks almelst.

Related question: Aren't "Trail Cameras" superior to your average analog or digital system? Why or why not?

They have completely different uses. This is basic info..read the product descriptions...one cannot replace the other.

Thanks almelst.

They have completely different uses. This is basic info..read the product descriptions...one cannot replace the other.

It was a rhetorical-sort of question for the sake of conversation.

My point being that you can pay hundreds for CCTV cams, and hundreds for DVRs, and they need a steady feed of power. But TrailCams -assuming a properly made one- can cost around $200 and up, are wonderfully efficient (up to a year on 12 AA Lith.), can record video and sound at a quality that can be better than a full hardwired CCTV system, and only run when triggered.

It just bugs me is all, why someone can't sell a system that works like a TrailCam. TrailCams would be ideal for building/vehicle/field surveillance were it not for their all-contained physical shape.. you know, have a CCTV system that is essentially a TrailCam except the parts (cams, mics, PIR, power, IR, etc.) could be separate and connected via ports in the main DVR unit.

I agree with Boogieman.

Standard CCTV and trail cameras are two different worlds. First of all, trail camera has no remote access, no live view, no internet connection. If you want to see the recordings , you must come to the site , connect to the camera (if it's still there where you left it) or take the SD card out and playback. Ok, it can send snapshots and videos via email, but if you mount it on a crowdy place, batteries will run down much faster than you've expected. It's not called "hunting camera" without reason, it's very useful on a lonely site without any power supply, but that's it, and nothing more.

Speaking of picture quality, wired CCTV offers wide range of resolutions, from 720HD over FullHD , to 4 or 5 Mpix and even more. Decision is all yours.

Thanks almelst.

It was a rhetorical-sort of question for the sake of conversation.

My point being that you can pay hundreds for CCTV cams, and hundreds for DVRs, and they need a steady feed of power. But TrailCams -assuming a properly made one- can cost around $200 and up, are wonderfully efficient (up to a year on 12 AA Lith.), can record video and sound at a quality that can be better than a full hardwired CCTV system, and only run when triggered.

It just bugs me is all, why someone can't sell a system that works like a TrailCam. TrailCams would be ideal for building/vehicle/field surveillance were it not for their all-contained physical shape.. you know, have a CCTV system that is essentially a TrailCam except the parts (cams, mics, PIR, power, IR, etc.) could be separate and connected via ports in the main DVR unit.

Why do you say trailcams can record at better quality than ip cameras? No camera on batteries can last a year in a location where there is traffic. You can trigger most cameras that have an alarm in with a pir sensor. Relying on PIR to record can be problematic, no pretrigger frames, not recording of events out of PIR range. You are simply looking for a way to use PIR with cameras. There are many of methods to do this.