TheTinRam

Consumer vs Prosumer devices

Hi

Like many of others I started looking for a CCTV system for my house when I saw the Night Owl system at Costco. I found these forums while researching whether the system was any good, and I think the consensus is that it is not.

I have therefore started looking at other brands such as Hikvision, with for example the HIKVISION DS-7608N. I would probably call this a prosumer device as opposed to the Night Owl consumer devices. Because of this, the Hikvision has far less flashier advertising and web site, so I am having difficulty figuring out the features.

For example, I can't figure out:

Would this Hikvision have access via a phone app, or is it only accessible via the web?

Would you be able to view cameras when on the go?

Is motion detection and motion zones part of the camera or the NVR?

Would this NVR only record when motion occurs or does it record contentiously?

I would love to hear from all the experienced folks in the forum. Could you please answer these questions? Would you recommend a different product?

Thanks!

Would this Hikvision have access via a phone app, or is it only accessible via the web?

Yes, you can set up the NVR to allow port forwarding so you can view cameras via the mobile app.

Would you be able to view cameras when on the go?

As above

I'm not too sure about this but I would guess it's part of the software on the NVR

Would this NVR only record when motion occurs or does it record contentiously?

You can choose either motion detection or contiunous recording

I'm not too sure about this but I would guess it's part of the software on the NVR

Correct. It would be a function of the NVR, rather than the camera. Zones can be set up on the NVR to mask off areas that you don't want to be detected. Like if a particular camera is facing the road, and you don't want it recording every time a car passes through its FOV.

That is incorrect, with these systems the motion detection is done in the camera.