Sign in to follow this  
cheapshot

Security Cam zero visibility at night

Hey, guys i'm new to these forums and see alot of very knowledgeable people hopefully someone can help me out!

ok so my father lives in a rather sketchy area so he decided to buy some security cams, i set everything up for him but the issue is at night there is literally zero vision through the camera...it does have night vision and is wireless...not other issue cept the zero vision at night...but when i say zero vision...there is a weird circular but large looking glare? should i say that is very bold and grey making it impossible to see anything. there is nothing that will reflect light towards the cameras all 4 camera's cept one which is literally pitch black at night on the other side of the house which is between two homes (his and his neighbors). i don't know what's up but this seems weird to me...i was so happy since i'm virtually a dunce with technical things and i got this set somehow and this happens...my fathers friend said you need to set up a light near by...but that seems weird if it's NEEDED to see anything...whats the point of night vision if so..

i'd like to state that there is nothing that can reflect light or the IR back to cause this glare...the one pointing at my drive way...the cars are covered the one in the back is pointing at cement floor pretty much...etc..they're all mounted to the home (outdoor cams ofcourse)

i'm assuming it's some type of IR glare...but i have no idea how to fix this if there is nothing i can see that is reflecting the IR blatantly...lol

TDLR- Night vision has some type of IR glare (my guess) causing recording to be unviewable due to massive grey glare.

Thanks ahead of time! btw i have to head out for a bit but i WILL get back to everyone who responds right away

Edit-

"Annke 4CH 960P HD Wireless IP/ Network Security Camera System (4) 1.3MP Surveillance Cameras with Superior Night vision and Quick Remote view, White-Better Than 720P" found the box this is the cam my father got.

here is the amazon link too - https://www.amazon.com/Annke-Wireless-Security-Surveillance-White-Better/dp/B019QCICNE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

and link to what my cam's recorded image looks like at night and specs:

http://imgur.com/a/ot069

Pic's of how their mounted and views:

http://imgur.com/a/KzREy

Edited by Guest

Hi you will also need to list your type of camera

hey, sorry just got back home thank you for replying here are the pics

and i'm using a "wireless NVR kit" i'll list the parameters aswell from the paper given if that helps i can't seem to find the box

i had to use an image hosting site "file is too big" to attach here.

http://imgur.com/a/ot069

first pic is the cameras and what i see

and the second is the camera's parameters, it's a wireless NVR 4 channel kit

I would guess these are looking onto wide open spaces. There is very little (IR) light reflected back from the distant scene, and the image is overwhelmed by local reflection of the IR light source at the camera housing. Low cost "Night" cameras with a ring of LEDs around the lens are really only short range units, good for seeing who's at the door. Turn one around to look at something closer and see how it performs.

For serious range you'd want separate IR illuminators. You got what you got now, but you could probably disable/remove the internal LEDs and try out a separate floodlight style unit with one cam.

I would guess these are looking onto wide open spaces. There is very little (IR) light reflected back from the distant scene, and the image is overwhelmed by local reflection of the IR light source at the camera housing. Low cost "Night" cameras with a ring of LEDs around the lens are really only short range units, good for seeing who's at the door. Turn one around to look at something closer and see how it performs.

For serious range you'd want separate IR illuminators. You got what you got now, but you could probably disable/remove the internal LEDs and try out a separate floodlight style unit with one cam.

my father said he bought the cam's for like 250? is that considered "low cost"?

this is the same unit on amazon that he got

https://www.amazon.com/Annke-Wireless-Security-Surveillance-White-Better/dp/B019QCICNE

should i return the unit? i don't see the point of purchasing a night vision hd cam...that can't see anything at night.

https://www.amazon.com/Annke-Wireless-Security-Surveillance-White-Better/dp/B019QCICNE

should i return the unit? i don't see the point of purchasing a night vision hd cam...that can't see anything at night.

return the unit...annke posts fake reviews...see fakespot...its garbage.

return the unit...annke posts fake reviews...see fakespot...its garbage.

what do you mean fakespots? not saying you're wrong just want to understand

Looks like IR wipeout.

You need to post a picture of your camera

On your last link the camera shows that the sun shield is painted black buy the lens

Is yours white or black ???

Hikvision cameras had this problem 3 years ago

Looks like IR wipeout.

You need to post a picture of your camera

On your last link the camera shows that the sun shield is painted black buy the lens

Is yours white or black ???

Hikvision cameras had this problem 3 years ago

the camera itself is white

you need a picture of the camera at night or during the day? it's already mounted so i'm going to need to get a ladder if you need a upclose pic (tell me if you need a upclose pic and what you need to see if possible please)

i mean mine is literally exactly the same as the amazon link here:

https://www.amazon.com/Annke-Wireless-Security-Surveillance-White-Better/dp/B019QCICNE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

not entirely sure what kind of pic is needed no offense, you need a upclose picture of the IR bulbs or something?

$50 each for 4 x cams and DVR, yup. I've no doubt they work, but all devices have limitations of one kind or another. For sure they won't see right across the other side of a field in the dark unaided. Very few would.

Note the previous comment about the sunshade (the baseball-hat sticking out of the cam front above the lens/LEDs) being painted black underneath, can you see yours? That minimises reflected IR glare back onto the lens.

Tell us about what you are trying to see. What sort of distance are you expecting, how high up are the cams? Makers seems to claim 30m night range, so realisticly a "good" picture should be expected at 15m.

Note that night pictures are in black-and-white; the IR LEDs throw a circular puddle of light, not a square to match the camera field of view. Result when looking at say a grassy lawn ... a grey circle. You may be seeing pretty much what is expected, depending what you are looking at?? Did you look at the customer reviews in that Amazon link? One has posted piccies of his nighttime views, to give you an idea.

Fakespot - looks for faked "reviews" of products.

http://fakespot.com/company/ANNKE

Score 40% - they think that half of the "customer" reviews of Annke products are falsified. Doesn't mean it is garbage, but does mean be wary of "Wow great!" buyer feedback.

Hi shade should be black .... Not glossy or shine or white (marked in red

An other thing you can do is put some black tape over the top IR light (marked in green) so as only 2are showing. And see what your image is like.

image.thumb.jpeg.047f39e56df263bd3c999d3763aee595.jpeg

ok so i took a few photo's so you guys can understand what you're dealing with or how i set things up and their views (except garage/street view) but we're not really expect 100 feet of crystal clear viewing at night, i expect good vision for atleast 30 ft which seems feasible to me, like not being able to just see the driveway where the cars are is depressing in itself.

i took some photo's just now hopefully these help.

http://imgur.com/a/KzREy

in order here are the photos :

1. Front house (two camera one point to drive way and one toward street view)

2. zoom in of drive way cam

3. Drive way cam vision (a bit lower i can't reach that high, car is covered at night so no reflection off cars)

4. street view Cam

5. Side of house Cam

6. Side Cam's view (once again much lower than actual view but thats what i want it to typically see)

7. Zoom in of Camera

8. What camera looks like at night (IR makes it glow when taking a picture, but i can see 3 red lights showing)

camera's are roughly 10-15ft up are mounted and angled

Also as stated the Tip of the cam or sunshade as you stated is white, does that mean i shouldn't be using this cam(return it?) or something or should i just Tape it up as you said?

Also as stated the Tip of the cam or sunshade as you stated is white, does that mean i shouldn't be using this cam(return it?) or something or should i just Tape it up as you said?

Hi. Since your system is already installed I would get some mat black paint and paint the sun shield

Hi. Since your system is already installed I would get some mat black paint and paint the sun shield

should i remove the white part with acetone or some type of paint remover and then paint it or just paint over it

and are you sure this would fix the problem? if i do this i'm sure i can't return it..

Hi. You need to know the return policy if looking to send back.

You can do a simple test to see if it's your problem .

Cut some lengths of black electrical tape and cover the sunsheld with it ... Then see how your night view is

Stick some matt black paper over it with tape just to try it.

Your setup doesn't seem overly ambitious to me, I would expect better results than you are getting.

Cut some lengths of black electrical tape and cover the sunsheld with it ... Then see how your night view is

okay i'll try that tonight when it gets dark! wish me luck!

Your setup doesn't seem overly ambitious to me, I would expect better results than you are getting.

yeah, i'm just looking for a rather basic setup with decent view...like i want to be able to see a person walking up the driveway...or coming down the side of the house...at this point i'll be lucky if i see a truck coming up either lol..best case scenario would be...be able to make out license plates or faces clearly

btw if none of this works any suggestions on another type of camera system i should get?

i was thinking of -

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Security-Weatherproof-Cameras-Transmit/dp/B00PMEG8YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472869545&sr=8-1&keywords=security+camera+kit#customerReviews

not sure if it's good or not but amazon #1 seller o.0 with 1500 reviews and seems legit o.0 idk though.

yeah, i'm just looking for a rather basic setup with decent view...like i want to be able to see a person walking up the driveway...or coming down the side of the house...at this point i'll be lucky if i see a truck coming up either lol..best case scenario would be...be able to make out license plates or faces clearly

btw if none of this works any suggestions on another type of camera system i should get?

i was thinking of -

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Security-Weatherproof-Cameras-Transmit/dp/B00PMEG8YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472869545&sr=8-1&keywords=security+camera+kit#customerReviews

not sure if it's good or not but amazon #1 seller o.0 with 1500 reviews and seems legit o.0 idk though.

That is a garbage analog system that will give you terrible images...its 2016, 720p should be the LOWEST resolution considered...look at a 1080p system.

IF you keep trying to "save" money by buying a garbage low end system, you will keep netting the same results..there a many threads discussion good packages out there.

i was thinking of -

That is a garbage analog system that will give you terrible images...its 2016, 720p should be the LOWEST resolution considered...look at a 1080p system.

IF you keep trying to "save" money by buying a garbage low end system, you will keep netting the same results..there a many threads discussion good packages out there.

do you have any personal suggestions of what systems i should be looking at?

and if this was for me i'd be willing to spend the money, but my father insist that he pays...and he's rather cheap...one of those old school baby boomer types o.0...

Look at HD systems from costco...lifetime return policy...make sure its at least 720p...not of this 960h 800tvl garbage..

the one i have is a 1080p BTW and they sell the same system at my local costco

Okay, so i put the black electric tape over it like you said and the image is clear now so i guess it was the sunscreens issue

i'll try to return it and get one with an actual sunscreen i don't want to deal with having to tape/paper/paint when it should be there already.

and it seems like Cam 3 is defective as the night vision isn't even working...

http://imgur.com/a/y2fm6