bat13

Help with Hik Vision IVMS-4500 and Sky Hub

Hi there

I've had a cctv system up and running for about a year now with Sky fibre Pro (fixed IP) and iVMS-4500 app has been working fine.

As the 12 months intro offer is now up with sky and its £20pcm more for fixed IP internet I am looking to move to the standard fibre.

I know very little about port forwarding etc etc but somehow (through various guides and a lot of trial and error/luck) managed to get the HiDDNS domain name referring software to work, viewing through the iVMS-4500 app in HiDDNS mode.

The problem I'm having is, I can view the live footage on my phone when the phone isn't connected to the house wifi/internet (mobile 4G) but as soon as I turn the wifi on, I lose connection.

Its not a massive problem as I can just flick the wifi off on my phone to view the cameras but is more of an issue viewing on the tablet that doesnt have its own internet.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

The problem I'm having is, I can view the live footage on my phone when the phone isn't connected to the house wifi/internet (mobile 4G) but as soon as I turn the wifi on, I lose connection.

Okay, so it all works using your DDNS url setup from phone via web into your router, from the outside world side of it.

I'm guessing that when your phone switches to your wifi, you are still trying to access CCTV via the DDNS url. That would require going out via your router to the web then back down through your router again. An out-and-back loop over your fibre service, if you like.

In my experience, that "self referencing" works with some routers, some service providers, but not all. I could never make it work over a BT ADSL link.

An alternative is to use the DVR's local IP address instead of the DDNS url, for a purely local connection that does not go outside your router (or use the port forwarding at all). I'm guessing you have a fixed DVR IP so that you could set up port forwarding.

You just have to choose on the phone or tablet, between private or web urls each time you start up the viewing app.

Thanks, the problem is, I'm moving away from a static IP service and so when the IP starts shifting around I won't be able to view the CCTV from a device connected via the Wi-Fi/home internet.

There's the IP shown by your router to the outside world. You were paying to have that a fixed IP, now you are not, so you use DDNS instead.

Your DVR has a completely unrelated IP address of its own, used only on your internal network. 192.168.xx.xx probably. You have probably given it a fixed address. You set up port forwarding in your router to create a channel between that and the outside world.

I'm suggesting that when at home on your wifi, your internal network, you can point the viewer app on your phone directly at the DVRs private internal IP instead of DDNS.