marklyn

recommendation: ip66 PTZ cam without IR - good night vision

I need a good PTZ, wifi, without IR.

The best I could find so far is a Dahua SD22204T-GN-W which is reasonably priced (under $350) for home use.

I need PTZ and no IR since I'm placing it about 3' from an owl house opening and want to be sure no IR lights cause problems with owl or bugs and spiders.

The min lux on this camera says 0.005 lux @ F1.6 (black/white image)

I don't have any way of knowing how much I can see in the dark with these specifications, so could use some help from some experts out there.

Thanks!

I have the non wireless version similar to that one and the night vision is not very good without external lighting help.

Be wary of wifi, it is not always dependable and may fail right at the moment you need it.

Even though it says wireless, you still need to supply power through a wire. You may want the wired version and use poe, power over ethernet, that way all you need to do is run cat5e/6 wire to it, and use a relatively cheap poe switch. Study up on poe for more info.

I have the non wireless version similar to that one and the night vision is not very good without external lighting help.

Be wary of wifi, it is not always dependable and may fail right at the moment you need it.

Even though it says wireless, you still need to supply power through a wire. You may want the wired version and use poe, power over ethernet, that way all you need to do is run cat5e/6 wire to it, and use a relatively cheap poe switch. Study up on poe for more info.

What is the model number of the one you have, I'd like to look up the specs anyway.

I'm aware of wifi issues, I currently have two wifi cams that I use now for my project and once in awhile I lose a wifi signal on one for a moment but all in all they have both been very solid (wifi connections). It would be too difficult to run a wired (poe) solution this this location but power is not an issue since the location is in a tree which is very close to a power outlet.

Mine is the SD22204T-GN and looking around on google you can find it at almost half the price you posted. But then you have the possible return or no warranty issues when purchased from overseas or e-bay etc.

I too have a fairly reliable indoor wireless camera, but as I understand it, the more cameras you add the less reliable they become.

Mine is the SD22204T-GN and looking around on google you can find it at almost half the price you posted. But then you have the possible return or no warranty issues when purchased from overseas or e-bay etc.

I too have a fairly reliable indoor wireless camera, but as I understand it, the more cameras you add the less reliable they become.

The lux specs are the same as the wireless model I'm looking at but I'm thinking I'll need IR lights to accomplish what I want to view.

I have 11 cameras running on Blue Iris, half wireless, half wired/poe and I don't ever have any issues with reliability unless it's something specific to an off brand/cheaper camera.

The small Dahua 4x ptz outdoor domes don't have IR lighting. You could go with separate ir lighting, but most of the affordalbe lights have a narrow beam. It would take a few to cover the area the camera can cover. Or move up to a bigger zoom Dahua which have IR lighting.

Or, go to something a little riskier (quality wise) like the Huisun 10x ptz with excellent IR lighting and works with BI.

The small Dahua 4x ptz outdoor domes don't have IR lighting. You could go with separate ir lighting, but most of the affordalbe lights have a narrow beam. It would take a few to cover the area the camera can cover. Or move up to a bigger zoom Dahua which have IR lighting.

Or, go to something a little riskier (quality wise) like the Huisun 10x ptz with excellent IR lighting and works with BI.

I can't use separate IR because I that wouldn't work in a PTZ situation well, I'd have to have IR lights going in multiple directions, don't want to go down that road.

I'm needing a dome over a bullet because the camera will be about 3' from an owl house entrance so when I move the camera it needs to be as inconspicuous as possible as to not frighten the owl(s).

I did find a FOSCAM FI9828P camera that seems to meet my needs and it has IR. FOSCAM is hit and miss. I have a couple of their outdoor bullet cams and they have worked well for my needs but I also know that FOSCAM users do have occasional issues with their cameras. For $249 it probably is still worth the risk, I had just hoped I'd have another similar featured camera option besides FOSCAM.

I saw the Foscam at that same price as Ebay at B & H photo. B & H is a good place to buy from and is also a certified Dahua seller.

Good luck

I saw the Foscam at that same price as Ebay at B & H photo. B & H is a good place to buy from and is also a certified Dahua seller.

Good luck

Actually FOSCAM US, in Houston has the camera for the same price with no shipping. I might just get it from them since they are the manufacturer and only 150 miles from me, should get it quick.