theunoticeable

I need help with a really weird DVR I have.

So you want him to rewrite the software ??? Or how is he going to get an update for a dvr that's over 10 years old..... You do understand this is a standalone ??
Nope, I don't expect him to rewrite the software, I'm already working on that (though I would appreciate collaboration with others). I'm personally just in it to collect info on whatever targets are available, currently targetting dvrs based on hisilicon stuff. Already got a booting kernel 4.8-rc4, and getting more working each day.

Ok we will wait till you have his unit working ... No point anyone else being involved.

But I will say it again .... Not that you are understanding

It's a proprietary CIF over 10 year old ..... It is CIF crap

So you want him to rewrite the software ??? Or how is he going to get an update for a dvr that's over 10 years old..... You do understand this is a standalone ??
Nope, I don't expect him to rewrite the software, I'm already working on that (though I would appreciate collaboration with others). I'm personally just in it to collect info on whatever targets are available, currently targetting dvrs based on hisilicon stuff. Already got a booting kernel 4.8-rc4, and getting more working each day.

Ok we will wait till you have his unit working ... No point anyone else being involved.

Its amazes me how much time folks will waste to save a couple of dollars, but more importantly end up with an inferior CIF dvr....

Its amazes me how much time folks will waste to save a couple of dollars, but more importantly end up with an inferior CIF dvr....

It amazes me how many people are happy just sitting with crappy firmware on an machine that vendors will ditch in a year or two, and then

replace it with a new machine with the same kind of crappy firmware, instead of maybe taking the time to explore the idea of getting a good

base going that can be easily ported to new machines when you do decide to upgrade.

I don't know about you, but I'm not in any way considered rich or well off. I make around $300 a week, so I don't have the freedom to just buy

a new thing. What I do have is a fairly nice pc, a desire to learn, a love of tinkering, and a fair amount of free time with which to tinker with.

What we're doing here isn't anything more than getting them into their machine. That's it. Now, if they want to do more with that, great, more

power to them. But why you guys have to be so negative and hateful about this is beyond me. Its their time, their money, their freedom to do

what they want with something they own.

What we're doing here isn't anything more than getting them into their machine. That's it. Now, if they want to do more with that, great, more

power to them. But why you guys have to be so negative and hateful about this is beyond me. Its their time, their money, their freedom to do

It is clear you no nothing of CCTV ..... Do you understand what a standalone is do you even know what CIF is ??

What you are saying can not be done ..... It's not hate and nothing to do about freedom .

It's about you saying take your 10 year old unit and change the software

It is clear you no nothing of CCTV ..... Do you understand what a standalone is do you even know what CIF is ??

What you are saying can not be done ..... It's not hate and nothing to do about freedom .

To be 100% frank, no, I don't know all the CCTV terms, CIF is basically a resolution, correct? I'm assuming standalone is what it says, you can use the dvr by itself, without needing network connectivity. What little I do know is from dealing with 2x nightowl zeus-dvr, circa 2011 or so, and 2x dvrs from samsung techwin, and the annoyance of how some of their stuff is handled (for example, IE only web interfaces, and then only with an activex plugin that doesn't work on modern IE), and what I've learned in general about embedded systems.

I'm making some assumptions here, but if his machine is linux embedded (good chance of that), and those four pins are in fact a uart (also a good chance), he can get in, and extract firmware and possibly analyze it to get the pass he needs. For example, on my nightowl, the primary binary that operates the web server (and I think the ui you get when you plug in a monitor directly, not 100% sure on that) has some hard-coded passwords you simply cannot change without modifying the binary. maybe his does to, I don't know, and won't know untill we have that look.

I'm making some assumptions here, but if his machine is linux embedded (good chance of that), and those four pins are in fact a uart (also a good chance), he can get in, and extract firmware and possibly analyze it to get the pass he needs. For example, on my nightowl, the primary binary that operates the web server (and I think the ui you get when you plug in a monitor directly, not 100% sure on that) has some hard-coded passwords you simply cannot change without modifying the binary. maybe his does to, I don't know, and won't know untill we have that look.

I just send to him info how to rest password with Remote control

if He has one

Why it's still only cif

It's over 10 years old

It has no suppprt

Does the op just want to play with junk or does he want a cctv system

Because waiting for you to do your magic he will be wasting time

Why it's still only cif

It's over 10 years old

It has no suppprt

Does the op just want to play with junk or does he want a cctv system

Because waiting for you to do your magic he will be wasting time

Tom,

Who cares?

It's clear that you know nothing about CCTV, or grammar and spelling for that matter.

This unit was made in 2012. It's four years old, not ten. Even if it was ten, I'd still put the effort into it. Why? Because I don't want an overpriced digital online only piece of garbage.

Stop peddling your "superior" product, thanks. The smart people will take it from here.

CIF - Common Intermediate Format. Mainly used for analogue cameras and teleconferencing.

This device is not CIF. It is H.264. And yes, it has network connectivity. Had you read a single line of this thread, you'd know that.

And changing the "software", as you put it?

Firmware is not software. Firmware is Firmware. If it was software, they'd call it that. It is entirely possible to create firmware for these machines. People have created some extremely useful firmware for old devices, ie; DD-WRT, Tomato, etc.

But you wouldn't know that, because you're the guy that tosses money at a problem until geek squad comes over and fixes it for you. I wish you good day, sir.

Please stop hijacking my thread with your useless nonsense. We were doing just fine without your input, thank you.

I've received a message with some RF remote control codes to test out. Tonight I'll pull out the old harmony remote and see if I can't make it work.

If I get in, I'll copy everything I can from the box and try to download a firmware file. I also have a couple of manufacture websites I'm going to try for a firmware file.

It's clear that you know nothing about CCTV, or grammar and spelling for that matter.

This unit was made in 2012. It's four years old, not ten. Even if it was ten, I'd still put the effort into it. Why? Because I don't want an overpriced digital online only piece of garbage.

Stop peddling your "superior" product, thanks. The smart people will take it from here.

CIF - Common Intermediate Format. Mainly used for analogue cameras and teleconferencing.

This device is not CIF. It is H.264. And yes, it has network connectivity. Had you read a single line of this thread, you'd know that.

Firmware is not software. Firmware is Firmware. If it was software, they'd call it that. It is entirely possible to create firmware for these machines. People have created some extremely useful firmware for old devices, ie; DD-WRT, Tomato, etc.

But you wouldn't know that, because you're the guy that tosses money at a problem until geek squad comes over and fixes it for you. I wish you good day, sir.

Please stop hijacking my thread with your useless nonsense. We were doing just fine without your input, thank you.

I've received a message with some RF remote control codes to test out. Tonight I'll pull out the old harmony remote and see if I can't make it work.

If I get in, I'll copy everything I can from the box and try to download a firmware file. I also have a couple of manufacture websites I'm going to try for a firmware file.

Its obvious from your rant that you have no clue...What does "digital online only" even mean? I dont think you understand how DVR's/NVR's work. You dont understand CIF or h.264...this unit produces horrific images. h.264 as ZERO bearing on the image quality that the DVR can record.

Its obvious from your rant that you have no clue...What does "digital online only" even mean? I dont think you understand how DVR's/NVR's work. You dont understand CIF or h.264...this unit produces horrific images. h.264 as ZERO bearing on the image quality that the DVR can record.

I'm not here for a pissing match, gentlemen. Last time I checked, the title of this website was CCTV Forum - not BUY A NEW MACHINE forum.

If you can't help, don't. It's a simple as that. Not one of us asked for your opinions.

For the record, firmware is software. Just very specialized. On embedded systems, sometimes its a full on linux install with busybox.

It is not RF

It is IR!

It is not RF

It is IR!

That's what I meant. Found my harmony remote and am charging the battery at the moment.

We'll see if she works.

We're have I tried to sell you anything ???

And you call yourself superior with a statement like this

also have a couple of manufacture websites I'm going to try for a firmware file.

You can't use other manufacture firmware. That is impossible.

because you're the guy that tosses money at a problem until geek squad comes over and fixes it for you. I wish you good day, sir.

How can answering your thread be hijacking

And as far as you was doing fine if you are that stupid to think you can use another makers firmware or software .... Then you must be one of the most stupid person we have had on this forum

If you believe what netz tells you. Then your fix is simple go to hikvision site they have firmware even sdk ..... But I will tell you you will never get it to work on your dvr.

Let's say you do find a newer software .... It still will not work on your dvr because your hardware is wrong.

Most DVRs for past say 8 years there software is telling unit to write to sata your on IDE which is slower so not a match and will give you problems if it loads at all as the software will look for sata.

So I wonder why manufactures don't let people update there 10 old systems with there newer software and firmware ..... Like I said in second post hardware from over 10 years is too old

Are you kidding me? Do you comprehend the English language?

This thing is four years old. Not eight. Not ten.

There's no terabyte IDE drives. It's a SATA drive.

And the manufactures firmware is designed for this machine.

Please stop replying thanks.

Let's say you do find a newer software .... It still will not work on your dvr because your hardware is wrong.

Most DVRs for past say 8 years there software is telling unit to write to sata your on IDE which is slower so not a match and will give you problems if it loads at all as the software will look for sata.

So I wonder why manufactures don't let people update there 10 old systems with there newer software and firmware ..... Like I said in second post hardware from over 10 years is too old

I'd just like to say this.

From what I've seen, a fair portion of DVRs are embedded linux based; linux being linux, hardware issues aren't a problem, as long as you have the code (which legally speaking, manufacturers have to release a decent portion of due to the GPL license on the kernel and related utils). Sure, the driver for my nightowl dvr's tw2866 av chip won't help for his nvp video processing chip, but a large portion of the core software (kernel, busybox userspace, etc) is directly usable. Also, if manufacturers would handle firmware sanely, eg, using the v4l2 api for av chips and devices, more software would interoperate on different hardware better. In my case, had nightowl done things better, instead of presenting one /dev/tw2866 device for all four chips on my dvr (and each of their four channels), we would have generic /dev/video[0-15] devices which could be addressed singly, and the webserver built into the firmware would be configurable for x amount of /dev/video* devices.

Further, we bought our products with our money. We should have the freedom to do whatever we wish with them, either modifying the software on it or sticking it into a trash compactor, even if it is old.

Know this is a bit old, But for anyone with the same system of ITX Camera's purchased some a while back and had a similar issue, Tried the reset with no luck too learn that you need too allow the system too boot up before it can be reset.

ITX Security Co also use the the login credentials ADMIN 12345 if that helps

On 9/12/2020 at 11:58 AM, _Once_Upon_A_Dime_ said:

Know this is a bit old, But for anyone with the same system of ITX Camera's purchased some a while back and had a similar issue, Tried the reset with no luck too learn that you need too allow the system too boot up before it can be reset. 

Over two years later I have come to reply!

I did manage to get into the unit. I plugged in a mouse and keyboard and used the reset button to reset the unit. Then I logged in with the default admin/12345 and it worked perfectly fine until I switched all of my cameras to updated wireless ones....Probably the beginning of 2020.
IN retrospect, what a piece of garbage.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:58 AM, _Once_Upon_A_Dime_ said:

i wish i would have  seen this post earlier,  i have  an itx  dvr similar to yours