JimRockford

CCTV POE Test Monitors

Hi everyone,

First, I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere on the board. I did look around, but most of what I found was dated and of course the technology changes so quickly.

On a new contract we picked up we're putting in a lot of DH-Vision/Uniview 4MP systems and it's time to shop for a new CCTV tester. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any reliable information. Obviously monitor resolution and things like that are important, but then there seems to be an issue finding testers that have the protocol built in for the system you're installing so you can access the PTZ or varifocal lens. Also most of what we put in today is H.265 so that would be a nice feature, and of course PoE power from the tester to the cam is important.

Would any of you be willing to share your thoughts on what you feel the best test monitor is now? Also I'd love to hear other tech's concerns.

Thanks in advance.

Well, as I was saying most of what we're putting in now is 4MP H.265 compression so it's IP. PoE to power the camera from the tester is important, WIFI is a nice plus. We still have plenty of analog testers lying around, but as long as we're shelling out the money anyway having the analog capability is certainly good. We'd like to be able to access the varifocal lens and PTZ function from the tester. I suppose pretty much the usual.

Electop has a few that looked nice as does Woshida, but I'm not too familiar with those. Too bad Fluke doesn't seem to make one.

Thanks for the reply.

Most of the time I use a surface and a POE splitter.

If the switch uses port security I use an injector and my surface.

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't used the Surface, but I've certainly been down the road of the PoE splitter. It can get to be a bit of a pain when you're 30' in the air on a pole, a ladder, or in a bucket truck, but I guess most all of us have sucked it up and done it. I hadn't thought about the Surface having that port. Thanks for the idea.

I think I've narrowed down the model we're going to try, but it's really hard to get good input. It appears that there are several brands, but all built by one manufacturer which means it really comes down to who you want to deal with on issues and warranty. Unfortunately they all seem to be overseas.

It's crazy what they build into these things now. I noticed two models have fiber testers and a Time Domain Reflectometer all for $600. I LOVE having a TDR available, but heck my Riser Bond TDR probably weighs 15# by itself and was $3500 back when I bought it.

BTW, if anyone is interested, apparently H.265 compliance is in R&D for the testers and will be released locally (to them, overseas to us) in "3-4 months." Then it'll be another 3-4 months before being released over here in North America. It won't be a firmware upgrade and will require purchasing a new tester.

It's crazy what they build into these things now. I noticed two models have fiber testers and a Time Domain Reflectometer all for $600. I LOVE having a TDR available, but heck my Riser Bond TDR probably weighs 15# by itself and was $3500 back when I bought it.

You can get TDR for less than $400

check ByteBrothers

Most of the time I use a surface and a POE splitter.

If the switch uses port security I use an injector and my surface.

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't used the Surface, but I've certainly been down the road of the PoE splitter. It can get to be a bit of a pain when you're 30' in the air on a pole, a ladder, or in a bucket truck, but I guess most all of us have sucked it up and done it. I hadn't thought about the Surface having that port. Thanks for the idea.

I think I've narrowed down the model we're going to try, but it's really hard to get good input. It appears that there are several brands, but all built by one manufacturer which means it really comes down to who you want to deal with on issues and warranty. Unfortunately they all seem to be overseas.

BTW, if anyone is interested, apparently H.265 compliance is in R&D for the testers and will be released locally (to them, overseas to us) in "3-4 months." Then it'll be another 3-4 months before being released over here in North America. It won't be a firmware upgrade and will require purchasing a new tester.

99% of the cameras I install are remote zoom and focus.

I just sit in the office and talk to the guy on the pole and tell him to either move it left, right, up, down, or rotate.

Then I zoom and focus. Once he puts the cover on I focus again.

That's the perks of using upper end cameras.

You can get TDR for less than $400

check ByteBrothers

Yep. A lot has changed since I bought my old Riser Bond 1270 decades ago.

293293_1.jpg

They're still expensive, but back when I bought mine for TSCM work there were no inexpensive alternatives. Thanks for the lead on Byte Brothers. I'll take a closer look at what they have to offer. I own a HVAC company too, and it looks like they might have a solution my techs over there have been searching for.

99% of the cameras I install are remote zoom and focus.

I just sit in the office and talk to the guy on the pole and tell him to either move it left, right, up, down, or rotate.

Then I zoom and focus. Once he puts the cover on I focus again.

That's the perks of using upper end cameras.

That was part of our challenge in finding a good tester. We wanted one that would drive the remote focus and zoom from the tester for all the brands we service. I'm really trying to spend less time at the desk too.

Edited by Guest

byte brothers for the poe info at the camera. For setup and focus just a laptop and and a poe injector. I used to have a pinpoint which provided a poe source and a net connection.

Or this tester and Win tablet

poe.jpg.448a4b826c96e3c00d16a6c0edf88e59.jpg

Hi everyone,

First, I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere on the board. I did look around, but most of what I found was dated and of course the technology changes so quickly.

On a new contract we picked up we're putting in a lot of DH-Vision/Uniview 4MP systems and it's time to shop for a new CCTV tester. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any reliable information. Obviously monitor resolution and things like that are important, but then there seems to be an issue finding testers that have the protocol built in for the system you're installing so you can access the PTZ or varifocal lens. Also most of what we put in today is H.265 so that would be a nice feature, and of course PoE power from the tester to the cam is important.

Would any of you be willing to share your thoughts on what you feel the best test monitor is now? Also I'd love to hear other tech's concerns.

I'm in the same boat. I still have a lot of analog so I am looking for analog capabilites as well. I had the axis handheld, but it takes forever to boot up and is rather useless when it comes to IP cams. I found this

VERACITY VAD-PS POINTSOURCE BATTERY. I think I will purchase this and use my laptop for IP cams.

But I am looking for an analog portable CCTV monitor that will work and last. I bought one of those cheapy $60 ones from amazon, it worked ok, but died after 6 months.

But I am looking for an analog portable CCTV monitor that will work and last. I bought one of those cheapy $60 ones from amazon, it worked ok, but died after 6 months.

It can be frustrating, Larry. All of these testers seem to be made by the same manufacturer, so it really comes down to who you trust most on issues. For instance these are the same device from two different sellers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZX3B81Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CIGSI70/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3EJ9OUSYS2KSW&coliid=I3Q7CV2OTUWVIM

Even the model numbers are almost the same except one seller puts the letters after the numbers and the other puts them before the numbers. Of course there are several models and this is the high end. I have exchanged emails with the companies as well as the mfg and all the replies are in broken English, probably courtesy of Google Translate. I really wish Fluke made one.

I ordered several last night that will be delivered tomorrow. We'll see how they hold up.

Any luck on finding a test monitor? I'm looking into this one.

http://www.orionimages.com/product/TMIP35A.asp

It looks like many of the other one's that I have browsed on various sites, but under different manufacturers. Plus, it's the only one my distributor has in stock. $500. Any input would be great.

Thanks

I really don't know what good a 480x320 image is going to do on a high resolution camera.

Some cameras reduce the resolution by cropping the image.