Sign in to follow this  
jake.reynolds

Need DVR Advice

I'm looking for a DVR recommendation. I had my house built with siamese coax (in 2008) for a CCTV system. I first had an AVTECH DVR. I always hated the web interface, which made me run an old ActiveX control using Internet Explorer. I upgraded to a Dahua-based DVR and found it extremely insecure, to the point that I wrote a widely-known exploit tool for them (https://depthsecurity.com/blog/dahua-dvr-authentication-bypass-cve-2013-6117, https://www.rapid7.com/db/modules/auxiliary/scanner/misc/dahua_dvr_auth_bypass). You shouldn't be poking holes in your firewalls for remote access to any of these DVRs in my opinion. Cloud is ok because that's outbound traffic from your network. I took the Dahua off the internet so it was only available internally but at analog resolution, it's nearly unusable. If I would have scrutinized my AVTECH the same way, I'm sure I would have found similar flaws.

Anyway, I just bought a "Lorex by Flir" 8ch 1080P analog DVR, set it up, and found out it's just another Dahua, albeit with better resolution and supporting better cameras.

Is there any development going on with analog DVRs besides increasing resolutions? It seems like everything stopped 10 years ago. I don't see any HD-capable analog capture cards either. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Here's my DVR wishlist:

Needs to be 8 x 1080p x 15-30 frames capable over coax.

Needs to support a variety of reasonably decent 1080p analog cameras (wide-angle, remote zoom, ptz, etc)

Would like a native, HTML5, browser-based web interface to DVR, rather than buggy Windows/Mac-installed CMS software.

No Java/Flash/ActiveX/Silverlight/Plugin BS required for web interface. Just native HTML.

Needs a solid mobile app.

Can edit any configuration element from app/web interface rather than requiring you to be at the console with a mouse.

Needs to be cloud capable (I have gigabit internet at home) with a reputable service that actually works.

Would like the ability to recap video based on event timeline rather than being stuck looking at 12 hours of footage at 8X fast-forward.

Does anything like this exist? Should I just keep the Lorex because that's as good as I'm going to get? Should I just ditch analog and go IP? If so, should I replace my coax with CAT5/6? Are IP cams with baluns over coax a workable solution, or something to stay away from?

I am in the exact same boat. I'm looking for something middle of the road. I've done the Lorex & AVTech DVRs.

Have you had any luck in your search?