alanb

Encoder/Decoder Pairs

Does anyone have a recommendation for an encoder/decoder pair for converting analog CCTV to digital on the front end and then converting back to analog of the back end?

I have a remote building that I need to install 2 analog cams. I need to use a digital wireless link to transmit the signal (using encoder) to the main building where I want to covert it back to analog (using decoder) to plug into my DVR.

I don't know if these enc/dec come in multi channel configurations or in single channel matched pairs. I have an Axis 4 channel video server that I can use, however, Axis only offers a single channel decoder (Axis 292) at around $750 and I would need two of these.

I have been trading off several different options and don't want to put a separate DVR in this remote building. Nor I am that crazy about using IP cameras because then I will have a mix with my analog cameras and DVR. Lastly, I don't want to go and get a hybrid DVR.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

Does anyone have a recommendation for an encoder/decoder pair for converting analog CCTV to digital on the front end and then converting back to analog of the back end?

I have a remote building that I need to install 2 analog cams. I need to use a digital wireless link to transmit the signal (using encoder) to the main building where I want to covert it back to analog (using decoder) to plug into my DVR.

I don't know if these enc/dec come in multi channel configurations or in single channel matched pairs. I have an Axis 4 channel video server that I can use, however, Axis only offers a single channel decoder (Axis 292) at around $750 and I would need two of these.

I have been trading off several different options and don't want to put a separate DVR in this remote building. Nor I am that crazy about using IP cameras because then I will have a mix with my analog cameras and DVR. Lastly, I don't want to go and get a hybrid DVR.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan,

Depends on your budget. Optelecom/NKF or IndigoVision would be my pick. Indigo's 9000-series H264 encoders are not cheap but are easy to configure and use and their network bandwidth efficiency is among the best, if not the best on the market. They're only single channel encoders/decoders though, so it does get expensive quickly.

Optelecom/NKF have some multi-channel encoders and from all reports their video quality is also excellent with bandwidth efficiency close to that of the Indigo products. Cost is lower due to multi-channel capability (up to 4 video channels per encoder/decoder - they also do 2 channel and 1 channel units).

Worth checking out.

I'd second Rory's choice on the Acti product, I've used several sets to provide analog viewing stations, with PTZ joystick control, to an analog Pelco Esprit on a otherwise all IP system and had good results.

Not sure if you've already nailed down your wireless choice, if not, take a look at Ubiquiti products, I've had very good results with it, and the price is great.