Nailgun

Camera support

Hello.

I've just purchased a Hikvision DS-7208HQHI-SH DVR and I'm trying to determine which cameras it will support.

I saw a product page on the Hikvision site here which states that it will handle cameras, either IP or TVI, at resolutions up to 1920 X 1080P

But, in the product guide, they include a list of compatible IP cams that has several cams that are at 2048 X 1536.

The guide, as you can see from the link above, was published in 2015.

Questions:

1) Can anyone confirm the max rez this thing will handle?

2) Any ideas for a cam that will allow me to read license places in relative darkness at about 50 feet?

Here's the product guide: http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2015060816102489271.pdf

Hikcams.JPG.45b48fe974a0b151b8948c22c570efe8.JPG

NonHik.JPG.4a83f24748586df01123636b32f7dee4.JPG

Hi. The unit you have listed is discontinued it has been replaced by DS-7208HUHI-F1/N

Ok. So, can you answer either of my questions?

DS-7208HQHI-SH supports 8 ch analog/HDTVI, plus 2 extra IP channels.

The 2 extra IP channels support Hikvision cameras up to 2MP. It will NOT support third party IP cameras, only Hikvision. And it will work with Hikvision IP cameras over 2MP, but you will have to lower the recording resolution to 1920x1080.

Hi. The unit you have listed is discontinued it has been replaced by DS-7208HUHI-F1/N

Ok. So, can you answer either of my questions?

New one yes old one no

What cameras are you looking at installing

Securame: OK. I was confused by the fact that the manual lists non-Hik cams as compatible.

That manual is for many devices; 71xx, 72xx, 73xx, 81xx and 90xx. As you can see on the image you pasted, ONVIF protocol is not supported on 71xx and 72xx, those units only work with Hikvision IP cameras.

DS-2CD2232-I5 will work, but only at 2MP, not 3MP.

Ah. OK.

Didn't realize that ONVIF enabled larger resolutions. I thought it was an interoperability standard.

It is a standard, ONVIF has nothing to do with resolution.

71xx and 72xx do not support ONVIF protocol, so it can only be used with Hikvision cameras, which use Hikvision protocol.