kensplace

multicore mains cabling?

What do people use for the wiring going to 240v mains pan tilt units? (or anything that requires multicore mains)

Finding it hard to source cheap multicore cable (would need 6 core at the minimum) rated for uk mains (its a dennard type 2000 running 240v, but low amperage ie 24Watts)

Cant really get away with dual 3 core cables if it has to fit a 9.5mm hole in the connector (when I get one.. Currently got it hard wired up to a joystick from a old arcade machine, works fine, but not suitable for outdoor use)

Only need a small amount as I will be knocking up a relay control board to run of low voltage, so control signals can be transmitted safely long distance, and the mains is kept at the head unit only.

Hi kensplace,

On some older pan / tilts, they didn't use connectors but were hard wired straight into the head through a compression gland.

Given the low current requirements, you can use 6 x 16/0.2 conductor cable (or heavier), which is widely available as a grey 'screened' version; that actually makes the cable more durable, but less flexible!. There are also unscreened versions available which should do the job fine.

It is a problem sourcing short lengths, but the cables used to be readily available from RS, Farnell etc.

As for Relay Interface Units, I'm guessing that Dennard probably built their last one about twenty years ago, so if you're going to build your own, you may just be starting a renaissance ( I've custom built loads in the past, just not recently )

Hi why dont you try stealling some trafficlight cable...... only joking dont do that you could try a local hire center like A plant and ask for some traffic light cable that what i used to do hope this helps regards Sam.

In the second pic it looked like you were changing the dennard 2000 with a nother head howcome? best regards Sam

It's a long long story.....

15 year old plus exsisting mains camera / PTZ and some obscure Phillips Telemetary board inside the housing, 2 of these Bad Boys siting 300ft up on each corner. Radio link to control room 1 mile away.

Cameras monitoring Coast line for the Public in their Boats which should not be there (Testing range for Army who Fired their Big Guns out to Sea)

The Customer moves the control room to below the Tower.

The not so experienced Salesman from the un-named worldwide company I was working for says 'Yes we can move the controls' Quotes 16 hours labour !

So we hard wire to RG11's down the Tower but for what every reason the old Philips controls ceased to work, No wiring diagrams.

So it was cheaper for us to prebuild and test two PTZ units at the office, We used a two channel BBV controller and and put BBV telemetry unit inside each housing. As we had spare 24v PTZ heads at the office we swapped the out old 240v's - At the end of the day we might as well do it properly.

We also had to get the Radar shut down when we were up there which was not very popular with the operators, so the less visits the better.

It was a Nightmare job, but it was a nice break from the standard CCTV in a Shop/House/Gas Station

Sorry Ken you can have your thread back !

Edited by Guest

Right so perhaps I should have read a few posts before asking for info on my multicore problem.

After searching RS website they have some Defstan Multicore 6 core in stock in varying lengths, voltages and current ratings. 250v and 440v from .25a to 2.5a on the 440v. Would this be suitable for use on these heads? I cant find the ammount of power used by the heads on any of the manufacturers notes. Could a 440v cable be used instead of the 240v as it has a higher amperage rating? Or is the .25a more than adequate?

Cant post link to rs-online as Im too much of a newb for the spam filter

Sorry ken, not hijacking your post, we seem to have the same issue and it might be worth combining forces If one of us if forced to buy a 25m roll.