adamxp12

NVR Recomendations for home use

So gonna start by saying what I have tried just to prevent people posting about stuff that does not fit my needs

1. Blueiris, no windows phone app, no external event support (as far as im aware) but I do like the one small payment approach
  2. Xprotect Essentials, its free for 8 cameras, but Milestone in their horrible money grabbing ways force you to have a 5 second nag screen on smart client, for what they would call a small upgrade, 8 extra cameras, and some support contract for the low price of (put your coffee down) £400 a year, I wouldnt mind but at least let me turn off your naggy prompt, I wont be giving them any money also no Windows phone app
  3. Axxon Next, Windows phone app is nice change, but free version only does 4 cameras and they dont seem to want business as have no way to buy it without going thorugh some other 3rd party company (companies are stupid doing that if you ask me) so despite liking it from the demo lack of being able to actually buy it prevented me
  4. Zoneminder, No
  5. Synology DSM, not software NVR so requires a seperate nas unit despite having a home server sitting unused with loads of storage, camera licences are to lunch and back and the web interface is nasty if you ask me

So now onto my needs to see if someone here can recomend me something I can actually buy, has what I want preferable windows based but am ok with Linux

• Software not hardware NVR
  • Cheap or free and would like to avoid per camera fees as they drive me crazy with rage
  • Min 8 camera support
  • External alarm events, either through a HTTP call or through camera I/O
  • Supports range of cameras, Panasonic, JVC, Axis, Hikvision, Dedicated Micros, all cameras I have or plan to use but not many software supports all of them them especially some of the pro brand which dont support ONVIF
  • Windows Phone app would be nice but can live without as long as I can get a MJPEG feed from it to use in some other app

is there anything that fits the criteria?, or maybe someone can point me in direction to where I can buy Axxon in UK as it looks quite hopeful

sorry for the ranty post but want to upgrade from analogue system but if you ask me all the NVR solutions out there are just about scamming the buyer with per camera licensing, never had this with analogue, imagine buying a 32 camera DVR but only being able to use 2 inputs until you pay some ungodly fee per extra camera

thats just my 2 cents, maybe someone has a link to some golden NVR solution not on first 5 pages of google

So gonna start by saying what I have tried just to prevent people posting about stuff that does not fit my needs

1. Blueiris, no windows phone app, no external event support (as far as im aware) but I do like the one small payment approach
  2. Xprotect Essentials, its free for 8 cameras, but Milestone in their horrible money grabbing ways force you to have a 5 second nag screen on smart client, for what they would call a small upgrade, 8 extra cameras, and some support contract for the low price of (put your coffee down) £400 a year, I wouldnt mind but at least let me turn off your naggy prompt, I wont be giving them any money also no Windows phone app
  3. Axxon Next, Windows phone app is nice change, but free version only does 4 cameras and they dont seem to want business as have no way to buy it without going thorugh some other 3rd party company (companies are stupid doing that if you ask me) so despite liking it from the demo lack of being able to actually buy it prevented me
  4. Zoneminder, No
  5. Synology DSM, not software NVR so requires a seperate nas unit despite having a home server sitting unused with loads of storage, camera licences are to lunch and back and the web interface is nasty if you ask me

So now onto my needs to see if someone here can recomend me something I can actually buy, has what I want preferable windows based but am ok with Linux

• Software not hardware NVR
  • Cheap or free and would like to avoid per camera fees as they drive me crazy with rage
  • Min 8 camera support
  • External alarm events, either through a HTTP call or through camera I/O
  • Supports range of cameras, Panasonic, JVC, Axis, Hikvision, Dedicated Micros, all cameras I have or plan to use but not many software supports all of them them especially some of the pro brand which dont support ONVIF
  • Windows Phone app would be nice but can live without as long as I can get a MJPEG feed from it to use in some other app

is there anything that fits the criteria?, or maybe someone can point me in direction to where I can buy Axxon in UK as it looks quite hopeful

sorry for the ranty post but want to upgrade from analogue system but if you ask me all the NVR solutions out there are just about scamming the buyer with per camera licensing, never had this with analogue, imagine buying a 32 camera DVR but only being able to use 2 inputs until you pay some ungodly fee per extra camera

thats just my 2 cents, maybe someone has a link to some golden NVR solution not on first 5 pages of google

Avigilon

Yes, u will have to pay for lic

but you will be happy with software

Avigilon

Yes, u will have to pay for lic

but you will be happy with software

fine with paying as I hear good things about it, but the big question is how much will I have to pay, I was under assumption that avigilon was enterprise not really designed for home or SMB usage and with that assumption I assume a price tag of 4 figures which is out of question for home use

Edit: had a look over at avigilon's site and a few things stand out as weird

1) with Core edition max of 2 client licences, so how does that work, is that per computer or per device total as I will have at least 3 computers and maybe 2 phones that would need connecting and if I need a client licence for each then I would need to go for standard edition which I would assume if more expensive which is fine but bit weird charging for clients if I am understanding that correctly

2) Alarm search is only on enterprise, might be wrong here but does that also count for I/O on cameras as I plan to use a few PIR's and would like to be able to see when its trigged and see events, but that might count as event search

3) Saved layouts again only in higher tier versions, seems like such a simple feature that I personally think should be standard across whole range, not a deal breaker but just confusing, and kinda annoying, want to quickly log in and get view of cameras not have to drag them all into the view like the demo I saw on youtube

3) Interested in some of their cameras, I haven't bought anything yet except the 4x existing panasonic non hd cameras I own, I saw that on ebay a 1 megapixel box style aviglon is about £150 (I assume new) if thats true then I am very interested as cheapest hikvision equivalent would be £300 if I remember correctly

overall looks really good, and the use of in camera motion detection is great as my plan is to install it on a ESXI host so not as much CPU horsepower as a bare metal server and if the PIRs wont work in core edition then I guess in camera motion detection would still be a huge bonus over other offerings

1) with Core edition max of 2 client licences, so how does that work, is that per computer or per device total as I will have at least 3 computers and maybe 2 phones that would need connecting and if I need a client licence for each then I would need to go for standard edition which I would assume if more expensive which is fine but bit weird charging for clients if I am understanding that correctly

You can install the client on an unlimited number of computers. Any limits are simultaneous connections, and cell phones are not clients.

FWIW, ten homes in my neighborhood have Avigilon. I use the client to monitor all ten servers and dozens of cameras at once.

One word of caution. If you don't plan to go with Avigilon, then don't try the demo. The Avigilon video server is exceptionally fast, and if you try the demo, then you will be disappointed when you install something else.

Best,

Christopher

You can install the client on an unlimited number of computers. Any limits are simultaneous connections, and cell phones are not clients.

FWIW, ten homes in my neighborhood have Avigilon. I use the client to monitor all ten servers and dozens of cameras at once.

One word of caution. If you don't plan to go with Avigilon, then don't try the demo. The Avigilon video server is exceptionally fast, and if you try the demo, then you will be disappointed when you install something else.

Best,

Christopher

Thanks Christopher, been talking with ak356 about Avigilon and have tried the demo, and am very impressed and pricing is decent too so out of everything I have tried I will probably go Avigilon unless someone can trump it but somehow doubt that after 5 minutes of playing about

Thanks Christopher, been talking with ak356 about Avigilon

ak357 did many of the Avigilon installs in our neighborhood using TeamViewer. Excellent service. I recommend him to all my neighbors who want to do a partial-DIY.

Best,

Christopher

Avigilon on My Iphone looking at my system at home.

First camera is a Axis Q6044 PTZ.

looks really neat, unfortunately avigilon don't have an app for windows mobile which sucks but maybe a future addition? they can quickly convert their IOS app to windows phone with some tools microsoft makes available, but will see about that if I decide to go Avigilon, but so far I have found little I don't like about it

and to answer your follow up question of why not use Android or IOS

IOS: gave up on apple, IOS is stale and boring, and battery sucks

Android: just feels tacked together, the way each manufacture installs bloatware and its quite easy to get a virus, feels like windows xp on a desktop more than a phone

and android runs Java and as someone who once coded Java I can see why its such a meh OS

I don't think you will find a single VMS that will support Windows Mobile. However, Your phone may possibly work with the Avigilon Gateway through the browser.

Try going to your server via http://serverip/acc in your phones browser.

actually Axxon Next has a windows mobile app, so the are options out there but they dont seem willing to sell it or at least not in UK anyway

Will try that, haven't got gateway installed at moment but will give it a shot