Sign in to follow this  
2JZGTE

[URGENT] Setup for 5 cameras : please help me plan for this!

Hi all,

First of all I'm a total noob to all this, so please bear with me. I need to solve this before the weekend because we will be closing walls then!

With the help of a professional I wired the whole house with Cat6, including wiring for 5 cameras (4 outside, one in garage). I don't know which cameras/dvr I'm installing yet, but that's a different topic.

He suggested the following setup :

DVR with 4 ports to save money (8 ports are more expensive). He suggested Provision brand.

4 x cat6 cables for the 4 cameras outside running to the DVR

1 x cat6 + 1 power cable for the camera in the garage, the cat6 running to my 24-port switch (which will be used for the house network)

He says the DVR will "find the 5th camera on the network"

However I'd rather use a 6 or 8 port DVR and run my 5 cables to it, to simplify things. I feel like the 5th camera in the switch would be a headache, but I could be wrong... My other option I guess is an NVR with a POE switch?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

To clarify, you mention DVR numerous times but are running ethernet cables. Ethernet cables typically connect to an NVR. DVRs use coaxial cable to connect to cameras. You can buy NVRs with built in POE or use a POE switch. As far as closing in the walls, all you need for now is to have the cat6 run from each camera location to room where NVR will be located. You can decide on a brand of camera and NVR later. Your guy is right about 5th camera, as long as its on your network, its no big deal. I suggest you go with an 8 port option because you never know when you'll want to add another camera.

Ethernet cables typically connect to an NVR

I purchased a Lorex set from Costco (in the past) and it had a DVR according to the documentation with ethernet cables... am I missing something? Was it an NVR?

I suppose the two terms can be used interchangably but I think of a DVR (digital video recorder) as an analogue system using a capture card and coaxial cable and an NVR (network video recorder) as using IP cameras on a network and ethernet cable.

Ethernet cables typically connect to an NVR

I purchased a Lorex set from Costco (in the past) and it had a DVR according to the documentation with ethernet cables... am I missing something? Was it an NVR?

Hi cat6 is good to run..... Also I would run cat6 to other locations while re doing house. Tv locations ..... Extra feeds to roof space area ..... Kitchen . To use at a later date.