Panarama Man

Multiple 485 control devices with PTZ

I have an issue where we have a number of PTZs on a site feeding into a DVR. At the site, they want control of the domes through the DVRs software (mostly for users over the network) and also through the joystick controller located at the site (for the guard/operator).

First we thought simple enough. But then we realized that we'd actually never done both controls simultaneously before. It had been mostly using a joystick, and occassionally using just the software - but never both simultaneously.

What we are finding appears to be a conflict of data (as if the 485 control is colliding) leading to erratic operation. When we have both a joystick and DVR connected to the 485, only the joystick works properly. The DVRs software is slow, sometimes fails to work, works in spurts, etc... But once we disconnect the joystick,the software control works perfect. Seems to stem from having multiple 485/422 controllers connected at once.

We have tried this with i3, Vicon, and IDR/IDIS (Capture), using Pelco, Vicon, and i3 ptz domes. We have tried it with a matrix, and without. Single PTZ camera, and multiple cameras. Same results each time.

We have talked to a couple of tech supports (I won't name names) and some of them have never experienced this. Nor heard of it. Talking to Vicon, they were the first to say that "No, it won't work" - you need a Dual Input Code Merger when using multiple control devices for ptz control (other than multiple joysticks through a matrix though).

We are about to test this solution (naturally the dual input code mergers run in the $500 range), but the funny thing is that I can't find a single installer/tech that has had this same problem firsthand. After 15 years, this is our first run in with the problem, but I'm hoping someone else can shed some more light on the issue for me after seeing the same thing.

TIA.

I'm sorry that I don't have the answers.....but I can certainly say that I have run into this same issue.

I have a client that has seven PTZs. They had two joysticks and were hoping to have them both in the loop to allow simultaneous manipulation of two different cameras at the same time.

We attempted to "daisy chain" them, then wired in parallel. We tried one joystick and one internal rs485 card. We tried every combination we could think of but the only way we were able to do it was to separate half the cams to one joystick and half to the other.

I would love to hear how the dual input code merger works out for you.