Brian G

Cable lenght question

I am wanting to set up a camera system. A couple cameras are going to have a longer run. I haven't measured yet, but I think it will be about 300 feet or a little less. I am looking for good quality cameras. (2MP) I am not sure what kind of cable/camera system.

I am trying to figure out what is better. At 300' can I run POE through cat 6 cable??? Will there be enough power to supply the camera at that distance?? (12 volt supply 5w max, 7w with ir cut in)

Or should I run coax and use a separate power source at the camera??

I don't see a reason to run cat 6 and a power source at the camera. Or is there a benefit that I am not seeing? The camera system that uses coax seem to be substantial cheaper. I already have a couple boxes of coax, but not concerned about picking up cat cable if it is needed.

I guess the cat6 system would be easier to hook the cameras up that are closer.

New guy leaning.... Thanks for any help.

about 300' is usually considered the max for POE. Personally I like IP systems over coaxial. There are all kinds of ways to deal with really long runs, but since you're right at the limit, Id just try the cat6. If you have problems you can add a POE ethernet extender somewhere along the run (assuming thats possible).

about 300' is usually considered the max for POE. Personally I like IP systems over coaxial. There are all kinds of ways to deal with really long runs, but since you're right at the limit, Id just try the cat6. If you have problems you can add a POE ethernet extender somewhere along the run (assuming thats possible).

You like IP over coax? Really? What are you talking about?? Do you know how much it costs to use converters on both ends?

Its a last resort..

300f can be done easy..the technical limit is 100 meters or 328f...you can often go much longer with quality cable.

lets assume he is talking IP cameras then Category cable 5 or 6 would be the way to go. As far as exceeding the 100 meter limit I believe that has been cussed and discussed on this forum before.