Harky

[HELP] Zxtech IP Cameras, External Router/Aerial

Hello,

First post here, i am looking for some help with Zxtech IP Cameras.

This setup is on a farm so it is a large open area with the cameras on the sheds which are around the farm house.

I have 3 of the 4 cameras up, but the signal from the router (BT Home Hub 3) that i have placed in the loft does not have very good range, so the signal keeps on dropping resulting in no picture on the monitor from time to time.

Running cables is not relay an option because of the distance and limited routes to take, i have tried using a wireless extender but there is to much lag when viewing on the monitor.

I was thinking to have an external router or some sort of aerial that would give me better signal to and from the cameras and place it on the chimney stack on the house.

Could someone please recommend something to achieve this setup?

Help will be appreciated.

Link to cameras: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zxtech-4-2-Mega-Pixel-1080P-Camera-IP-Camera-Cloud-Recorder-Wireless-CCTV-System/171932925805?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140328180637%26meid%3De5e194a91d7b4a819ad262ab9c15d11a%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D191690776669

Zxtech cameras are load of junk and don't expect to get the resolution they say

You need to setup a LAN Bridge from the Router to the Shed then run to a network switch, cable all the cameras to the network switch

Are they POE or use those dozey POE adaptors they give you with the cameras? If so use a POE network switch and that will power the cameras as well

Are you able to mess with the antenna on your camera model? You might try out using directional WiFi antenna at one camera quite cheaply.

If you do need to put an outdoor WiFi AP on your chimney, you'd need one with Omni (all directions) antenna I'm guessing? it would probably pay to invest in something good here, as you would get side benefits of improved coverage around your yard for smartphones, one day smart tractors(?) etc.

Wireless extenders mess up because they effectively listen one way / transmit the other way in turn, adding delay. An AP (Access Point) connects via wire back to your router. If you have a DVR, you may need to configure it to look for cameras on the wired network (if it isn't already).