I need to cover about 800FT roadway/driveway from a farm house... Since there will be lot of demolition work, they don't want to spend much installing any poles/cameras on the field other than attaching to the farm house for now... so trying to find alternate solutions... I can mostly find 300-350ft night vision cameras, is that the longest range available? what type of the cameras are used in traffic signals that stays very high on the pole...

Are you wanting to cover the entire 800 feet of driveway? Or have a camera on house cover the entrance 800 feet away?

Actually I want to cover the entier area... was reading about 'starlight' models... will that help seeing whats going on in night... I dont need motion sensor or anything... just a cam to record any intruders.

motion sensing is what records the intruders. But thats a standard feature on cameras. I'm not aware of a camera that can accomplish what you want. If there is one, its probably super duper expensive. I'd try and use multiple cameras. One on driveway area near house, another zoomed in about 30X on driveway area midway from house (about 500 feet). Getting the next 300 feet is tough, especially at night. You might can use external IR for night vision. Maybe someone else more experienced can offer advice. I'm thinking this is going to be a very costly project. Might be cheaper to run conduit and wires to have cameras at point of use.

Thanks for the suggestions...

I decided to run the cables on a pole or along side the fence to mount the cams (one every 300 ft).

Thought of using IP cam to avoid running coax + power and use POE, but looks like I need some boosters for 800ft? all along I thought ethernet (CAT6) has extended range than the BNC+power cables I get... but looks like for 800ft its the coax that has extended range... but how will i run power in that case?

Apperciate any hints/ideas/suggestions....

Ethernet cables are limited to 100m, coax (good quality!) will go further.

A halfway house is to use baluns, which convert a coax signal onto cheaper cat-5/6 cables (and back again). This isn't ethernet but uses the same type of cable. That's likely to be the best solution for that length of run.

https://www.quora.com/What-should-be-the-maximum-distance-between-a-CCTV-camera-to-monitor-by-coaxial-cable

If you do not have local power supplies, the solution is to run your camera power over thick cables. The longer the run, the thicker the cable to avoid voltage drop. The higher the voltage to start with, the more voltage drop you can bear (and so use thinner, cheaper cable).

I'm guessing you want to avoid running mains cable along the fence etc.

So using commercial grade cameras that take a 24VAC supply (rather than domestic 12V types) would be a good start. Most camera manuals include a guide to cable gauge and distance.

With multiple cameras, it might prove cheaper/simpler to run individual cables than try to power them all over one fat cable.

You'll probably need to think about power for IR illuminators as well.

Hi. You best and cost effective option is to use IP cameras daisy chain type.

Camera link from one to the other giving you 900ft on one cable (300m). And you don't have the added cost of power and switches every 300ft

Thanks rossko & tomcctv for the ideas...

That pretty much sounds like we will have to be creative and come up with some hybrid solution and there is no out-of-the box solution for such longer distance runs....

I am going to add the sat image of the farm, and may be that will help with some more creative ideas from you guys...

#1 - is the house where I need to put the DVR/NVR and the only place where power source is available.

#2 - I am planning to cover this enterance by mouting the camera on the west side of that house itself (no power/cable issues) - 150ft

#3 - I might be able to cover this one also from the building (east side) as its 200-230ft from the house. Hope the trees wont block the view...

#4 & #5 - 500ft & 750ft away from the house.... looks like if we can place a camera at 400ft or somewhere in the middle (600ft) to cover both the enterences... so we are talking about just one 400-600ft wiring...

So, this case, what type of cameras/cables I should use for #2, #3 & #4/5 - I guess regular analog cams for 2/3 & IP for 4&5 (due to power requirement)?

I have a spare hybrid DVR, which I can be used of this project if we go hybrid route.

Note: All those buildings/sheds will be demolished in coming months and the owner wants survielnce during this period.

farmhouse.png.005bc91026ce682abfaea58d268875e3.png