Zyra Tech

KVM Switches

*Good* KVM's won't have an effect on video quaility. Personally I like the Belkin KVM's. I use two of them, one at home, connecting my W2k box and my linux box. At work I have them set up between my work box and my test box. In both cases the machines are set at differant resolutions and I don't see any artifacting. Alot of gamers tend to swear by the Linksys ones. A couple of reviews I saw of it said that they were running it at 1600 X 1200 without a problem. Now I have seen some of the under $20 ones and well....you get what you pay for.

I agree with Thomas, Belkins are the best but they are pricey, but they don't lock up like some of the cheaper ones that you have to keep resetting.

Cybex and Nova View are excellent as well.

I found that good cables are most important.

The cheap products usually come with cheap cables.

As said, you get what you pay for.

You said in a differant post that you were mostly using onboard video. Is that the signal that's acting flaky on you?

My experience has been that the KVM unit (as long as it's digital) doesn't matter much. The quality issues usually come to play as a result of the "cables". The discount KVM units tend to ship WITH the cables; they are trying to cut costs so they ship cheap cables (poorly shielded) and that are generally too long..

When picking a unit, ask to see the cables that come with it. Look for something thick and kinda sturdy looking where it is around the video cable. Also the shorter the cable, the better odds you'll get good quality.

I have not really liked the Belkin brand, even though I have one of their wirelss keyboards and mice, I would have to agree with Mick, look for thick high quality cables and you should not go wrong.

I've found the belkins to be pretty good for cabling. For other stuff (keyboards, mice, ect) I wouldn't use them, but for the consumer caliber stuff, they do alright.

Belkin has two lower end KVM's one that comes with cables built in (it's alright, better then most of the built in ones) and a slightly more expensive one that has seprate cables. That one is excellent. My KVM at work, the better of the two, is in an area of overlapping EMF's (three video spliters, one really bad one, two PC's, three camera's, two wall strips full of plugs, and a bunch of wires) and it doesn't even hiccup.