Willie

Need Help To Keep the Wife Happy!

I have spent 2 hours searching the Web to find something that may not exist.

I am looking for a small SINGLE device that includes the following and can be mounted on the 4 inch trim around our front door: 1. a standard door bell; 2. a CCTV camera to hardwired to my monitor; and 3. a motion detector.

The camera can be on all of the time. I like the idea of the position of the camera because it should look straight into the face of the person on the front porch. The doorbell doesn’t need to do anything but ring our current bell. And, the motion detector, if it detects motion, will turn on the outside lights around the front door.

I know this can all be done by adding a motion detector and a camera to our current doorbell. But, I am trying to pass the “wife approval testâ€

"a device that keeps the wife happy"

man if you find a device that can keep the wife happy please let me know. Oh ya and if in the process you can find a device that can make them keep their mouth shut, then pm me

(please dont let my wife read this)

LOL ... i thought it was $$ that made them happy .. (ps. i dont have a wife) ..

Anyways ... Ive never seen an all in one device such as that .. doorbell etc all in one .. but you could probably make your own .. somehow.. .

There are peephole cameras though .. for motion detection would need a system for those.

one time we installed a system in a residential house. these people had more money than God and had cameras hanging all over their house by the time we were done. But the one place they did not want cameras to be seen was the front door. But of course they wanted a camera there. So we put a vandal proof dome and she made a wreath. And it pretty much was completely covert. (PRETTY MUCH). It worked out great. We dont do much residental installls though so I dont have any other ideas other than that one.

my wife was against cameras on the outside of my house when I first started putting cameras on my house. Soon after she was complaining that she could not see a small small portion of the corner of our yard. Like 5% of the front yard. So she told me I had to get a camera that covers that area.

point being that she will get used to the cameras once you get them.

ok, I was browsing what radio shack was selling now with security systems so I can laugh and found this device that may suite your needs. These are just basic consumer self install products that my work for you. It has a built-in camera with motion sensor and a buzzer when someone is at your door. You can hook this right up to your TV. However you will need the seperate switch box for two way and motion function.

Here is one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2199257&cp=&origkw=security+camera&kw=security+camera&parentPage=search

And a slightly better one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104430&cp=&pg=2&origkw=security+camera&kw=security+camera&parentPage=search

Have fun!

Hi Willie,

I don't know where you are, but here in the UK, most DIY stores sell something like the radioshack kit that Ultimate mentioned.

Hoever, they're not great but they are dirt cheap.

I have seen a better (but not much) camera with a PIR switch mounted in the bracket of a wall light (the victorian style carriage lamps you see on the outside of porches over here) and I think RS ( www.rswww.com )sell a 'door intercom' system, though i doubt it'll fit in the trim round your door...

Don't know if that's any help