jeffpa

dvr suggestions.

Been studying what I can on these, but its abit daunting.

I need a DVR, networkable to my pc for viewing(and to pc for storage/archive)),local (monitor view), motion detection,hi res

storage (720x480), 4ch, 30fps per channel, and some sort of

remote alarm for motion detection. etc.

My dealer suggested the Everfocus EDSR400, which I see

while not generally well viewed, the complaints are

from very advanced folks...

I've pretty much settled on SHC-740,or SDC-415 camera's for

input to this DVR.

very cheap................but works. viewing via internet will be slow refresh.

for that same money or cheaper you can get a eclipse type DVR that will outperform. I'm not a big fan of cheap equipment but when money is a issue cheap stuff works ok, but, long term lifecycle is always going to be questionable.

If you want archiving to your PC, you will need a DVR that supports that, which I cant think of any stand alones that do it well, even my beloved GE ..

GeoVision for certain has the software specially for that, called Center V2. Other PC based DVRs do also.

If you want highest quality evidence sharing you are stuck with a PC based in any event. Though make sure it is a good brand as some cheaper ones only handle lower resolutions.

Ultimately, the neverfocus model definately wouldnt be the right choice for your requirements.

Dedicated Micros has archiving via FTP for their new DS2 and I believe the ECO line as well.

Dedicated Micros has archiving via FTP for their new DS2 and I believe the ECO line as well.

Whats the Resolution and Frame Rate though?

I should have said yes alot to send to an ftp server on motion, just never seen that work well.

If you want archiving to your PC, you will need a DVR that supports that, which I cant think of any stand alones that do it well, even my beloved GE ..

GeoVision for certain has the software specially for that, called Center V2. Other PC based DVRs do also.

If you want highest quality evidence sharing you are stuck with a PC based in any event. Though make sure it is a good brand as some cheaper ones only handle lower resolutions.

Ultimately, the neverfocus model definately wouldnt be the right choice for your requirements.

Not archiving per se, but at least be able to store clips on my PC

for safe keeping.

Rory not to mention the possibilty of 120 frames per sec 30fps x 4. If it is over the internet that is going to tax bandwith out of the water or if it is over a LAN it could be an IT's nightmare. Just did not see anybody bring this up in this post. I have seen 7fps x 16 channels eat up a cable broadband connection. Not all people need 30fps most time 6-8 work great. If you look at 30fps @ 4k files thats 120k per camera times the possibilty of 4 cameras thats 480k most broadband connections are 256k.

(real time recording)

I thought thats what a DVR does?

Am I missing something?

All I need to do is save at probably 30fps x 3 camera's to a DVR,

and have the ability to view something remotely on the DVR

if needed (camera feed) or store a clip to my PC for archiving

if need be.

Otherwise, its save the data to HD, and I'll have a monitor setup

to view one camera, and view the other two camera's

(local or remote via my PC on same home LAN) only when needed.

Motion detect will be enabled on the 1 camera and will ring a piezo electric unit when activated.

Jeff I understand you are hung up on 30fps very few ever need that a time laps recorder running in 24 hour mode is around 6-8fps. Not seeing the install I can't see the need to shorten the storage time of the dvr. Now to answer your question on live recording. Not all dvr's are the same and you need to read the specs some 4 channel do 30fps record and 30fps veiw at the same time while others do 120fps record and 120fps view and then there are the ones that can only work like a vcr record or view not both at the same time

We got rid of the everfocus, what a POS.

Motion Sense only worked when you were damned near in front of the camera. I will say those SDC-415 cams on low lux ROCK!

But dont work well for LPR, so I have an Extreme CCTV REG-L1

on order. (thx for the reccomend Rory!)

I'm trying to stick in the under 2k range for a DVR though, 8 channel,

30ips per channel, motion detection (and good motion detection!),

alarm out, record resolution at least 720x240.

My Dealer suggested Speci DVR-9ip) and I see Rory poo-poo'd them.

Dedicated micro's seem well received, but they are kind out

of my price range, (Sprite 2).

Any other suggestions?