Sign in to follow this  
tacman7

Is this the right forum?

I have a wired/wireless network and I want to buy a camera and software to view/record on Windows computers.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

I'm bogged down by all the possibilities trying to pick out camera's!

Trying to avoid the school of hard knocks of camera buying.

I was wanting to make a system that used the computer to record with.

I can have a wired camera on the building I live in then 2-3 out on the property.

The wired one I want to have pan tilt, the others can be bullet fixed cams.

I think I shouldn't have anything less than 3MB. Maybe my network would support hi res streaming, have to try that and see. The AP and Bridge are 300mb class CPE.

Thinking Blue Iris...

You may want to look at the Starlight Dahua cameras or the Hikvision Ultra low light cameras. They have very good night vision and are affordable.

Blue Iris is a good choice. Make sure your computer has enough oomph to run the cameras. An old dual core machine won't do it well.

Thanks I was looking at the Hikvision camera's.

What would they say if you can move them around remotely, pan tilt?

Most seem to be manually adjustable, same with the lens.

Some say:

2.7mm-12mm motorized lens

That would be cool but I would need the ability to move it around also.

I was thinking the one camera I get with two motorized functions could be wired to save money.

What's dual stream, like the ability for two people to use it at the same time?

Thanks

Motorized zoom is also called motorizedvarifocal. It is meant to adjust camera field of view and works very slow. Look here for a good example https://www.securitycamera2000.com/tools/comparethefieldofviewfordifferentsecuritycameralenses

What you want is a PT or PTZ camera, pan/tilt or pan/tilt/zoom. Dahua makes Starlight ptz's, not sure on Hikvision.

Edited by Guest

I'm finding when I get everything I want the price is up to $600 or so.

Think I have to start small and work my way up.

Wife isn't going to go for $600.

There's some pretty nice looking $100 camera's out there.

Thanks

Could you look at this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-HD-AHD-VARIFOCAL-2-8-12MM-2MP-PTZ-CCTV-SECURITY-CAMERA-IR-NIGHT-NTSC-V1V3-/322458360510?hash=item4b14041abe:g:JzMAAOSw32lYz6~X

It says it has varifocal but then it says it has 2.8-12mm manual zoom. They're talking about manual in that you have to be there and manually zoom in with the controls on your computer software?

Thanks

Yeah that camera is obviously a manual operated pan and tilt deal, has a screw you have to loosen. But the title is PTZ. I think it lost something in translation.

Could you look at this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-HD-AHD-VARIFOCAL-2-8-12MM-2MP-PTZ-CCTV-SECURITY-CAMERA-IR-NIGHT-NTSC-V1V3-/322458360510?hash=item4b14041abe:g:JzMAAOSw32lYz6~X

It says it has varifocal but then it says it has 2.8-12mm manual zoom. They're talking about manual in that you have to be there and manually zoom in with the controls on your computer software?

Thanks

I would stay away from that camera. The software on those cameras will frustrate you from day 1.

If the add is confusing, it is probably deliberate.

Be aware that buying from China means you probably have no warranty, and if there is a warranty, it will cost a lot to send it back if you have problems.