Sign in to follow this  
pimpin

CCTV CAM to Wireless wifi router

I'm trying to build a Zoneminder based system to monitor and record activities on my property which includes three different buildings and a number of cameras in those three areas.ideally what I would like to do is connect the cctv cams to a wireless router or hub in each area and feed it back through wifi to my network with zoneminder on it. However.... the cctv cams are coax and the router / hub is cat5. I have seen some adaptors for coax to cat5 but they seem to be designed to go coax-cat5-coax-DVR. I've looked at collector cards as well but really I think the simplest would be coax-cat5-router. Is there a way to do this? I've seen transmitters as well but I can't help feeling there must be a simple way to feed the cctv to cat5 and then the router. Thank-you.

As far as I know a coax camera must be plugged directly into a DVR. It speaks a different language than an IP system. Have you already bought the cameras? Why not use IP Cameras?

ya purchased a few cams to try out. They were far higher rez than the IP's for a fraction of the cost. I figured it was just the end result (CPU HD vs DVR HD) that was different. Seems to me that if you can use a video collection card you should be able to use a router? Perhaps there's more to it. I'd rather not have to dedicate two cpu's to the task to accommodate the task but maybe that's the only way?

ya purchased a few cams to try out. They were far higher rez than the IP's for a fraction of the cost. I figured it was just the end result (CPU HD vs DVR HD) that was different. Seems to me that if you can use a video collection card you should be able to use a router? Perhaps there's more to it. I'd rather not have to dedicate two cpu's to the task to accommodate the task but maybe that's the only way?

Hi. Do you know the format of your cameras ???

They might of been a fraction of the price but to convert to ip with encoder will shock you .... not cheap at all.

Your best option is the use a dvr comparable with your cameras at each location then call them all together at your view point via laptop or pc

Sorry.... by format you mean IP vs CCTV or? The cameras are

ANNKE AU-K31ZA0403 1800TVL;960P;24IR Leds;Night Vision;Weatherproof Wired

IR Night Vision: Up to 100ft(24pcs IR LED) Camera Type: Dome

Camera Sensor: Cmos Image Sensor Camera Connectivity: CCTV/Closed System - Wire

ya purchased a few cams to try out. They were far higher rez than the IP's for a fraction of the cost.

Hi. With those cameras ... trust me they are no where close to HD or IP cameras. Not even high res.

But since you already have them .... just buy a dvr ..... forget about cpu forget about zomeminder

ya purchased a few cams to try out. They were far higher rez than the IP's for a fraction of the cost.

Hi. With those cameras ... trust me they are no where close to HD or IP cameras. Not even high res.

But since you already have them .... just buy a dvr ..... forget about cpu forget about zomeminder

Well that doesn't sound good. I'm a newbie at this stuff but the TVL numbers etc looked alright on these. What should I be looking for? I will junk these as the whole dvr situation doesn't work for me. I'd rather start again and do it right. As I say I bought these to try out with the knowledge that I may need to tweek. I was expecting the issue to be with zoneminder to be honest though as I find it to be a pain in the a$$ at the best of times when it comes to setting up cam's.

you really need to get a cat5 wire to each building. Yes you can use IP cameras connected to a POE switch, connect that switch to a wireless router, but Im not sure how well the router can transfer all that data wirelessly. How many cameras are going to be in these buildings?