Sign in to follow this  
alex06370

Set up camera's streaming settings?

Hey everyone!

I'm a total newbie so please excuse my question and my vocabulary if I use the wrong one.

I'm at the very beginning of a school project and I'd like to have few information about the capacity of Wi-Fi IP cameras.

Basically I want to know if its possible to configure a camera for making this:

Send a 20 seconds video every 25 minutes to our server.

We want to place around 100 Wi-Fi IP cameras in some people's places (they have accepted of course). An Android app will be developed in order to see for each camera a 20 seconds video that is updated every 25 minutes.

Why we'd like to configure the camera instead of developing an application for the server? Because we want to reduce the amount of work of the server. So basically we want our server to receive these 20 seconds videos and not having continuous video streams that it will need to cut off into a 20 seconds video.

- Is it something possible?

- Do you know some brands that can make it? We like Hikvision and DLink, any suggestions?

- Is it possible thanks to an API or SDK to configure the embedded camera's system?

Many thanks for your help

Hi your first problem is 100 wifi cameras in a place the size of a school

Server...... build one that can cope with the install

Sounds like you want to build on a small budget.

I have done a few school projects and I cannot figure out what you are trying to accomplish.

You need to have recording setup so that you can catch incidents, just randomly sending video will not do that. So you have a fight and send 20 sec of video only ? Why not hard wire cameras as you still have to get power to them as well. multiple PCs or servers might be an option as even the free software from geovision will handle 32 cameras.

Thanks for your answers!

The cameras will not be placed in the school but at different locations in the city.

One of the scenarios we have is:

We buy an Wi-Fi IP camera, we connect it to the internet thanks to a Wi-Fi hotspot (at no moment we have a physical access to the router, everything has to be set up with Wi-Fi), then we tell the camera "do only a 20 seconds video stream every 25 minutes".

As simple as that, nothing more.

Is that possible? Camera's model that can do it?

Any suggestion?

And for your information, this school project is not about surveillance or anything. It's a marketing/artistique project.

Thank you so much

Who owns the hotspot ???

How will people connect if no router

As simple as that, nothing more.

You make it sound so simple.

What is the radius of the hotspot. How many cameras at each hotspot.

dont know what country you are in but you might find you also need a commercial licence.

What is your budget ?

It does seem simple with certain cameras like this one:

This camera has no ethernet input. The only way to connect it is through an app. The only required things are: an app + wifi hotspot (name + password).

Hotspots will be private and owned by landlords, or in some cases we will use 4G mobile hotspots so keeping data usage down is a key concern. That's why we are looking for a wifi ip camera that can, by itself, stream 20 seconds video every 25 minutes.

Our budget is $100 max/camera and the project will be developed in Belgium.

Thanks for your help!

It does seem simple with certain cameras like this one:

This camera has no ethernet input. The only way to connect it is through an app. The only required things are: an app + wifi hotspot (name + password).

Hotspots will be private and owned by landlords, or in some cases we will use 4G mobile hotspots so keeping data usage down is a key concern. That's why we are looking for a wifi ip camera that can, by itself, stream 20 seconds video every 25 minutes.

Our budget is $100 max/camera and the project will be developed in Belgium.

Thanks for your help!

"That's why we are looking for a wifi ip camera that can, by itself, stream 20 seconds video every 25 minutes"

I am sure the functionality u want has to be server side

meaning u have to develop app for it

Yes that's our initial thought. But once again, since we want to keep the data usage down + reduce the amount of work of the server, we are wondering wether or not some IP camera models allow us to do that?

Also if not:

- Is it possible to change or make changes to the embedded system of a camera?

- Can we buy a camera without embedded system, and develop our own one?

Thanks

Yes that's our initial thought. But once again, since we want to keep the data usage down + reduce the amount of work of the server, we are wondering wether or not some IP camera models allow us to do that?

Also if not:

- Is it possible to change or make changes to the embedded system of a camera?

- Can we buy a camera without embedded system, and develop our own one?

Thanks

Automatic x seconds of video every x minutes doesn't sound a feature I've seen in any of the IP cameras I've fiddled with.

Your best bet might be to put a cheap rasperrypi and a camera module and then develop a program on the raspi to capture and send the video. Google search for rasperry pi, camera module and programming should get you started.

For example https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/camera/raspicam/ and more specifically the raspivid section there for the recording, then some way to send it to your centralized server (ftp, or such?)

Hi

You could use Hiki NVR for this, released just yesterday...

It is server side, but would be easy to use for this. There is currently a scheduler to roll over recordings every x minutes. If you raise a request on github I would be happy to add a max recording length feature. This will mean you could centrally configure all your cameras and then every x minutes it would record a video of x seconds from the configured cameras. It's written in nodejs and would be pretty easy to modify yourself if you need anything else. Server load will be minimal.

https://github.com/refinitive/hiki

Adam.

Thanks for your help, but it sounds a bit too tricky for us.

We've found that some camera's firmwares enable to send video clips to a FTP. That's exactly the solution we were looking for!

Axis and Dlink models allow us to set up the repetition. We were able to set them up to send 20 seconds .mp4 videos every 25 minutes - exactly how we wanted it.

The problem is that Axis is very expensive for us, and Dlink seems to have huge issues with Wi-fi (it drops the signal all the time...). We are talking about cube models.

We tried Hikivsion: Only possible to send snapshots to the FTP, we need videos with sound.

Also tried Dahua: Impossible de set up repetition, the limit is only 6 sendings per day...

I would like your help please to help me finding a new camera's brand where the firmware enable to send to a FTP video clips with regular intervals.

Thanks!!!

Can I ask ........ What is the whole idea of this ??

Your talking hotspots ??? If landlords why not use the network and stay away from wifi.

In some cases we won't have a direct access to the router, that's why we need wi-fi.

You are making all this hard.

Who will own the hotspots...... there is a reason why I am asking this

And I also have a good idea on what you are trying to setup

I appreciate your curiosity but sorry I don't see why you need to know all the details about the project...

All I'm asking is which camera's model/brand enable to send to a FTP, videos on specific interval: 20 seconds every 25 minutes.

In some cases we won't have a physical access to the router but only the SSID and Password. Ex: students buildings, offices, public hotspots, etc. That's the only reason why we want a camera that does have wi-fi.

Axis M1065-LW makes the job perfectly as we wanted but it's too expensive for us... We'd like a model that costs max $100.

Any help would be great, thanks!