Norway

Is wifi bad?

Hello everybody!

I am trying to learn about cctv cameras and have heard that wifi cameras are generally a bad idea, because of low signal, loses connection etc.

Is this true?

What would you advice outside a normal business/ home?

Wifi or network cable?

What about inside a store for example?

Thank you

Hi. Networked all the time ...,, wifi has too many problems ..... but with products like netgear Ethernet over power there is no point going wifi

Hi. Networked all the time ...,, wifi has too many problems ..... but with products like netgear Ethernet over power there is no point going wifi

Ah cool!

So this product removes the need to drill holes in the wall?

You just install one device inside and another one where the nvr is?

Ah cool!

No mounting camera still needs fixing or you still need to get power to it

A lot of adverts say the benifits of wifi is no holes........ which is crap as they still need power....... so same size hole if power or Ethernet

Ah cool!

No mounting camera still needs fixing or you still need to get power to it

A lot of adverts say the benifits of wifi is no holes........ which is crap as they still need power....... so same size hole if power or Ethernet

Ok I see.

Do you know of a good book/tutorial on how to set up the cables etc?

This might be a stupid question but do I need to drill 4 holes trough the wall if I have 4 outside cameras on different walls

(With 4 powerline kits and 1 powerline adapter in the router?

Or should I just have long cat5 cables around the house and put them all trough the same hole? Lol

It would be nice to learn all this beforehand, so I don't mess up with customers...

My friend has bought a package with 4 cameras of me, so I can practice on his house first though...

oh god, PLEASE dont install cameras for anyone...you have less than basic knowledge...go get a job working for someone first..

oh god, PLEASE dont install cameras for anyone...you have less than basic knowledge...go get a job working for someone first..

Hehe I wont do anything before I know how to do it.

Thats why Im asking where I can read about it.

Is this the correct method for outside cameras?

Cameras -> hole in wall -> POE switch -> netgear powerline -> another netgear powerline (in the living room) -> NVR

Did you ever consider HD-TVI that uses conventional coaxial cable and separate power feeds? You can still remotely access the cameras via the DVR as long has that has a IP ability. You do NOT need to have IP cameras to access than remotely.

And to answer the OP's question wireless is a PITA! It's advertised as the 'lazy' way to setup up a system, but as others already stated, the cameras still need to be powered.

Did you ever consider HD-TVI that uses conventional coaxial cable and separate power feeds? You can still remotely access the cameras via the DVR as long has that has a IP ability. You do NOT need to have IP cameras to access than remotely.

And to answer the OP's question wireless is a PITA! It's advertised as the 'lazy' way to setup up a system, but as others already stated, the cameras still need to be powered.

Thanks for the answer

Can you please explain the benefit of using HD-Tvi over Ip cameras?

I would still need to run all the cables to the DVR (except I would lose the option of using a device such as "netgear power over ethernet"?

Ability to use existing coaxial cables & power from an analog system,

No IP nightmares between cameras,

No bandwidth restrictions.

As long as the DVR has a Ethernet connection you have all the access from each camera you would have if they are IP. The only benefit I can see from IP is if you are setting it up with POE which is basically the 'lazy' way to go. You still need cables and 'pulling' a 2nd cable isn't really that more difficult assuming you want all your power coming from a single power supply. Ethernet cables need additional care not to get them 'kinked' (which is easy to happen).

I just feel IP is overated.