Thomas

Cable question.

My question doesn't have anything to do with CCTV, but I was hoping some of the people with installing experance can help. I live in an apartment, and when they did the cable tv wiring, they managed to clip the cable to our apartment. Normally it's not much of a problem, but if the signal is split at all, we loose the higher channels on digital cable. And as it stands now, we lose the pay-per-view channels when we watch them. Time-Warner isn't going to do anything about the cable itself. Is there anything I can do to try to boost the signal?

do you know where the 'clip' is?

If it is their larger cable, then they would have to fix it. If not, you could fix it yourself. Depends where it is, there are amps that would help with signal for those higher channels.

You could also look into DSS, much better programming.

As far as I can tell, the clip is in the wire inside my apartment, but it's not in an area where I'd be able to pull it. And DSS isn't an option at the moment, but I could appeal for permission since it's thier fault the cable is bad.

Can you get to where it comes into your appt? If so, you could reroute it, or something, to somewhere you can at least install an amp/filter. I could check with the people I buy my cable stuff from, I just received something for a similar problem, some higher channels were giving problems. We rewired and they are ok now, but since we have 2 4-way splitters and long runs, they are not great as could be, so I just received an 'onQ' device/amp.

Im hooking it up tomorrow, so Ill let you know how it works out. they have smaller units, mine is an 8 output as we have 8 TVs. I just have recieved their catalog so ill go through it tonight. I dont have the part here so I dont know the part # off hand.

This is all new to me so bear with me Actually the contact in the US is coming down tomorrow for a day for a meeting with us, so I can also ask him. He has been doing Home Theatre for 12 years, and now manufactures High End Plasmas and LCDs in Florida.

Also, i think it was Zyra Tech that said they have been in the Audio Video industry for some years, so you may want to direct a question to him tonight to see if he has any ideas.

Rory

Thomas, do youself a favor and have it fixed. If the line is defective any amplifictaion will possibly cause problems elsewhere? If you are like me, my time, and time off, is worth the money spent.

The problem is that I can't force it to be fixed. I lease my apartment and I can't just have someone fix it. The cable company won't do it without the apartment complex'a consent. They won't allow it until it's unusable.

I pull on that cable real hard until it completely stopped working, then call them and tell them it's broke. Just kidding! If your leasing it they have some responsibility to provide you relief/satisfaction, or allow you to have it repaired. Signal is degraded and they will not conset to fixing it? Submit your request to "them" in writing and ask for a response in writing. Sounds like your dealing with a "slum lord" type person? You stated say "they" won't fix it til it's broke? Well, I'm a reasonable guy. If you want it fixed, and they won't fix it til it completely breaks, break it. You leased with reasonable expectations. They are being unreasonable. I'd also be looking for a better leasor. They most likely have multiple "taps" on that line? A nic in a cable normally causes interferance or no reception, not signal loss on the high end. High end signal loss points to a weak signal. Splitting the cable causes signal loss. Have you had a cable guy read the signal at the wall? Signals can be overdriven to the point that your signal starts to degrade?

The apartments are actully really nice. The cable guy showed me what the trunk was getting, he showed me what my neighbors are getting, and then what I'm getting. The problem is definitly in the cable from the trunk to our apartment. While they do have an obilgation to be helpful, the state of texas doesn't require them to spend what it would cost for what really is a luxury. Not much of a legal requirement to repair when there are alturnitives. They've been pretty nice about it, and the got three bids for what it would take to fix it and I can understand not wanting spend that kind of money.