antdickens

Geo vs DVR's on live view

When a customer sees a geovision system along side even a cheap DVR system the live viewing always looks better on a DVR type system. I think this is because they are displaying the feed direct from the camera rather than the digitised version that geovision uses.

Will geo ever get the view as good on the PC screen or are we stuck with adding a combo card and an extra cctv screen?

It will be better with a PC CRT Monitor (especially if they are using an LCD monitor now), but not as crisp as using the DSP output to a CCTV CRT Monitor, or even just a CRT TV.

Multiplexed Composite output ..

No the 800 doesnt have it, you could add a DSP add on Card.

The Combo cards also have them built in.

pc_setup_example.jpg

you can still buy them, but Geo doesnt list them anymore.

Check a retailer for them .. its called the Real time DSP card.

I find that if you want to look at 16 cameras at a time, the PC monitor will be clearer, but on a single camera view, the TV output is better.

Ok I think I found what your talking about. It sure is exspensive. Cost more than the $300 I paid for the Geovision 800-8 card. Here is my question on this DSP card. Can I display the cameras live one at a time as well as all four or all eight at a time? And also does anyone know where I can get one for not to much $$ Here is a link to the one I found online.

[edit by mod - sorry no store links)

My other question is. Can I split my camera cords two ways with a right angle T without losing to much signal? I don't see why not when the cord that goes into the Geo card is so small to begin with. This way I could use my old Swann DVR for live view. Thanks for the help. Dave

had to remove the link, due to the rules ..

But basically the price is normal for that .. it never was a cheap product ..

the combo card comes out as a cheaper method that using the seperate DVR card and DSP card ..

But you can get it cheaper than that actually from one of our advertisers.

Can I display the cameras live one at a time as well as all four or all eight at a time?

Well if using the DSP card, Im not sure if the new DSP feature in the version 8 software works with that or not, like if it just works with the Combo card's DSP feature. So going by the old method, you would only have a fixed view if using the Setup method. Eg. Set the cameras fixed to a 4 way or 9 way etc. I havent used the DSP card since version 8 came out, so cant say. The DSP part of the combo card works where if you dont set it up, it will just mimick the GUI's video layout, so you could change that and it would change on the DSP also. With version 8 software it lets you change the views as well as set sequencing.

Can I split my camera cords two ways with a right angle T without losing to much signal? I don't see why not when the cord that goes into the Geo card is so small to begin with.

Shouldnt be an issue. It is a cheap part so you could try it.

I would just try to pick one of those up at a local store though.

The T will work fine with a GV800 because you can adjust the AGC to compensate for the weaker signal, or if the swan has looping outputs, use that.

Oh man. I'm much happier with my system. I combined the two systems. I use the Geovision for recording. I get about six recorded days with a four hundred Gig. Hard drive recording Mpeg 4. The swann only got three days with the 400 Gig. But I liked the way the Swan looked live view. Especially with a single camera in full 19 inch wide screen. I didn't realize the Geovision 800 was not giving a live straight through view. Thanks to this post. I found that out. So I split my camera cables and plugged the Swann in for live view. And now It's all good.

I now have a combined system. Both systems are plugged into a Samsung SyncMaster HD lCD Monitor.

I picked up a really good CRT Hitachi Super Scan Elite 751 monitor Yesterday. But it did not look even close to this Samsung LCD monitor. The Samsung was much brighter sharper and more colorful. This monitor also has a built in TV tuner, AV inputs, R,G,B, Progresive scan, and I was able to hook the computer into the monitor with a digital video input. After all my test I would highly recommend this monitor.

Thanks to all on this post. Especially Antdickens for mentioning the Geo not displaying the live view. So that's what all the hype on the combo cards is about. Any way thanks all. You helped me come up with a solution to the problem I was having . I was trying to match the live view of my cheap DVR. Especially on single camera view. At full screen. I do agree though. If your looking at four or more cameras at the same time. The Geovision does look good. And the recording is great. As long as I don't look at the recording single camera full screen.

One problem I'm still having is on playback. The video go's a little two slow. Kind of looks like a slide show sometimes. And if I speed it up a little I can't listen to the sound while playing back. If I save it as an AVI. The AVI plays at the right speed. Is this just the way Geo works? The slideshow view at normal speed.

One more question. How do I get to that AGC adjustment. Iv'e seen it somewhere. But can't remember how to get back to that control. The Swann has no loops. That would have been very helpful. Thanks again for the help. Dave

BTW if you use the Video Cards TV Out to a CCTV CRT Monitor (Not CRT PC Monitor), the Playback in Full Screen should look great ... at least if using an S-video cable to the CCTV Monitor. Ive done that with a 21" Samsung Color CCTV Monitor (as per that image I posted before) for playback and it was great. It was just kind of bulky, but if its quality you are after ... at least for playback. The DSP is better for Live Video as it is Composite on a CCTV Monitor or TV. Problem is the Live Video quality on the VGA monitor from the Combo cards arent that great, at least the 1120. Didnt have an issue when using the seperate DSP card in the past though.

Also, if you are using the TV in from the Swann on that LCD, try the PC's Video cArd TV out and see how it does .. never tried it on a LCD monitor Composite input so cant say .. wont match the CRT CCTV Monitor but still might be as good as the Swan.

well, I read the topics and I found it very interesting,

many of our clients say about the live screen quality: poor quality - and they are right

but, what about the future: IP cameras? with them, you can't than use a combination of multiplexer for example and digital videosystem, because the live picture will be already compressed.

So for my understanding, it can't be "the future" to combine a new geovision system with old BNC multiplexter technique.

Is there no way to get a better live picture out of the GV-System? What about the DVI-Combo cards? or the PCI-Express Cards: do theey produce a better picture???

it is not nice...

hi rory,

why should these new hardware related cards result in a better quality live screen? Do you have any details? We use always new PCs, actually Core2Duo. Do you still suppose, that these cards result in better quality? And why doesn't they exist for 16 channels?

I dont know the engineering behind it, but hardware compression is supposed to be better quality .. perhaps due to the On Chip RTOS and its compression methods. The Geo's come in 4 and 8 channel cards, you can stack 2x 8 channel cards to make 16.

well, I read the topics and I found it very interesting,

many of our clients say about the live screen quality: poor quality - and they are right

but, what about the future: IP cameras? with them, you can't than use a combination of multiplexer for example and digital videosystem, because the live picture will be already compressed.

So for my understanding, it can't be "the future" to combine a new geovision system with old BNC multiplexter technique.

Is there no way to get a better live picture out of the GV-System? What about the DVI-Combo cards? or the PCI-Express Cards: do theey produce a better picture???

it is not nice...

You are 100% right, but now there is a solution for professionals. New GV-Multi Quad card gives you great quality picture (analog picture, no compression, no digital processes) on 5 different monitors (BNC), auto scanning, sequences, quads/splits. I tested it personally and it really rocks:

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/product/GV-MultiQuad.htm

I dont know the engineering behind it, but hardware compression is supposed to be better quality .. perhaps due to the On Chip RTOS and its compression methods. The Geo's come in 4 and 8 channel cards, you can stack 2x 8 channel cards to make 16.

Currently, I'm testing such stack 2 x GV-2008 cards (also with MultiQuad card). Recording quality is much better than GV-1480 (MPEG2 makes the whole difference but the storage space needed is extremely high - you know, like DVD). CPU usage is of course lower, PC CPU is used only for live view and that's why live view quality is the same as in GV-1480. Personally, didn't notice any quality improvements here. But for perfetly clear live view I really recommend using GV-MultiQuad. It makes the whole difference.

hi tpolus,

that sounds good to me. I have 2 questions on that topic:

1) We don't want to use 2 screens: is it possible to use a cctv flat screen with BNC and VGA Input to connect the MultiQuad-Card to the BNC (for live-view) and the VGA to the GV-Card for recording and then to switch at the screen between live-modus (BNC) and recording modus (VGA)?

2) Very important: how do you control the live-screen via MultiQuad-Card? For example, I want to change between 16-picture screen to 1-picture screen?

hi tpolus,

that sounds good to me. I have 2 questions on that topic:

1) We don't want to use 2 screens: is it possible to use a cctv flat screen with BNC and VGA Input to connect the MultiQuad-Card to the BNC (for live-view) and the VGA to the GV-Card for recording and then to switch at the screen between live-modus (BNC) and recording modus (VGA)?

2) Very important: how do you control the live-screen via MultiQuad-Card? For example, I want to change between 16-picture screen to 1-picture screen?

1. Don't know the cctv flat screen you got there, depends if it's easy to switch between VGA and BNC... But yes, I think it will be possible. In this case, you most probably don't need GV-MultiQuad... GV-Combo card will be enough... (GV-1120, GV-1240, GV-1480, GV2004, GV-2008). All GV-Combo cards has TV-OUT connectors like this:

http://www.polvision.com.pl/faqs.asp?lang=en&id=64

So, just use "CVBS (composite) to BNC" changer to connect this TV-OUT with your cctv flat screen BNC input.

2. MultiQuad is only for viewing and automatic scanning, no system controls. You control MultiQuad live views via control panel on VGA monitor.

hi tpolus,

well, thats not very comfortable, if I have to control the DSP-Output via the GV-Main screen. I knew that from the combocard, but I hoped, it'll be different for the Multi-Quad.

One reason, why I asked all this is the following:

ee have live picture problems by using high-speed domes.

Our configuration:

- gv 1240-8

- 8.02 gv software

- brand new dual core dell pc´s, 2 gb memory

- high speed domes of panasonic, or eneo or others using pelco protocoll or samsung protocoll

Now the problem:

If we move the dome very quickly (rotating quickly), than we get a divided screen, that means a diagonally in the middle of the screen arranged line. It disappears, if we rotate the dome only slowly.

We have this problem with every dome and every PC. Is it a codec Problem? We don’t have the problem with a monitor connected at the dsp output. But we want to use the “normalâ€

Ive never experienced that with the PTZ before on the Geo ..

From similar posts where the user had a Core 2 or Dual Core, maybe that, or the motherboard bios, drivers, etc, are the problem. Ive used PTZs on slower systems with no problems, and we typically never would use those kind of CPUs right now with Geo ... for Price but also because its not as tested.

Try changing the codec from H264 (IIRC encodes video diagonally) to standard MPEG 4 and see if there is any change.