I have 6 poe IP cameras around my house that run into a poe switch that is outside in a weather tight box which is powered with a extension cord outside then it has a single CAT5e cable that runs inside my house to my switch. I also have a detached garage about 50 ft from the house. The garage has another poe switch inside with a single CAT5e cable running back to inside my house underground.

I've been using blue iris to monitor things but have wanted to switch to a NVR box.

I didn't really set this up for security obviously someone could just un-plug the extension cord to cut off the house cameras. I would like to fix this but not sure how.

My only idea is to run new CAT6 cable to each camera underground back into my house where a poe switch would be but that would be a lot of work,

It would require going into a crawl space, lots of digging and drywall cutting.

Personally I'd just leave it as it is. Yes thieves could cut your cord. They could also shoot/Spray paint your cameras. They could be completely covered so cameras dont tell you what they look like. Locks can be broken. Nothing will stop a determined theif/criminal. I think there is a very low change that your system will ever be messed with. Can you put the extension cord inside a conduit? Something to physically protect the cable?

Personally I'd just leave it as it is. Yes thieves could cut your cord. They could also shoot/Spray paint your cameras. They could be completely covered so cameras dont tell you what they look like. Locks can be broken. Nothing will stop a determined theif/criminal. I think there is a very low change that your system will ever be messed with. Can you put the extension cord inside a conduit? Something to physically protect the cable?

Thanks for the input, i could put it in PVC even if someone did un-plug it they are seen on camera before hand. I wish i could get away from using my PC to see the cams it takes a decent PC to run 12 1080p cams.

How does a NVR box handle cams so easy?

Nothing wrong with using a PC as your NVR. What cameras are you using and what are the specs of your PC?

A i5-4670K mini pc that i built. Cameras are 3MP Dahua and Hikvision. I have one Dahua PTZ and 12 Hikvision cameras,

seems like your PC should be plenty for 12 IP cameras. I run 32 IP cameras from an i7 4000 series no problem. Maybe it depends on the brand of camera? (I use Geovision) I think NVR advantage is they arent using windows typically. Linux seems to require much less power to operate.

seems like your PC should be plenty for 12 IP cameras. I run 32 IP cameras from an i7 4000 series no problem. Maybe it depends on the brand of camera? (I use Geovision) I think NVR advantage is they arent using windows typically. Linux seems to require much less power to operate.

What OS are you using? And what software?

I even lower each cams setting to 10fps and a low bit rate, i also use the same PC to surf the web.

BTW if i bought a NVR and only ran one CAT5 cable to it would it be able to see all the cams i have that are powered by my poe switch?

I use Windows 7 and geovision software. I too use the PC for all sorts of daily tasks, handles it all no problem. I guess its the brand of camera and/or software that makes the difference. My guess is that its the software. When you go into Task manager (alt control delete) what is your CPU usage?

Yes you could connect your POE switch to an NVR, just like you are doing currently to your PC.

I use Windows 7 and geovision software. I too use the PC for all sorts of daily tasks, handles it all no problem. I guess its the brand of camera and/or software that makes the difference. My guess is that its the software. When you go into Task manager (alt control delete) what is your CPU usage?

Yes you could connect your POE switch to an NVR, just like you are doing currently to your PC.

CPU usage is around 70% that's also with me on youtube etc

To clarify i can run one cat5 cable to a NVR and it will see all the ip cams i have? I was under the impression that to use a NVR each camera would need it's own cat5 cable run separately directly to a NVR.

Yes one cat5 from your switch to the NVR. Many NVRs now come with a POE port for each camera channel, thereby eliminating the need for a standalone switch. But so long as camera and NVR are on the same network, it really doesnt matter how the cable configuration is set up.

Yes one cat5 from your switch to the NVR. Many NVRs now come with a POE port for each camera channel, thereby eliminating the need for a standalone switch. But so long as camera and NVR are on the same network, it really doesnt matter how the cable configuration is set up.

Okay but if you have say 12 cams you still need a 12 port NVR even though you will only be using one port right?

Thanks for your help.

Nothing wrong with using a PC as your NVR. What cameras are you using and what are the specs of your PC?

A i5-4670K mini pc that i built. Cameras are 3MP Dahua and Hikvision. I have one Dahua PTZ and 12 Hikvision cameras,

You are likely not setting up blue iris correctly. First enable direct to disk recording for each camera, then enable hardware acceleration. Ensure there is not discrete card as it needs intel HD with quicksync.

You should not be using a pc running a vms for other purposes like youtube...

You will sorely miss the options in blue iris if you move to a standalone NVR...

Okay but if you have say 12 cams you still need a 12 port NVR even though you will only be using one port right?

Thanks for your help.

It needs to be at least 12 channel, but does not need 12 ports. It only has to have 2 ethernet ports. One port going to switch, one port to connect to your network.

Thanks for your help.

If you're worried about someone cutting power to your cams have you thought of putting a UPS to give you redundancy for your cameras ?

I use a 4500 watt UPS that i picked up at the right price to give backup power to my entire system and i get over 3 hours .

Thanks for your help.

If you're worried about someone cutting power to your cams have you thought of putting a UPS to give you redundancy for your cameras ?

I use a 4500 watt UPS that i picked up at the right price to give backup power to my entire system and i get over 3 hours .

I have thought about that but there is no where to put it outside plus it's exposed to the heat/cold.