sipxstream

Soffit installation

I have been looking for help on this subject for so long now, but I just cannot find the information I need, so I'm posting on here in the hopes that someone can help me...

I plan to install 2 dome cameras on my porch soffits - one at both ends of the porch.

I'm struggling to plan a way to secure them to the soffit before I start drilling holes, as the soffits are hollow inside and there is no way to remove them to install any kind of backing.

I was thinking of using wall fixing anchors (http://amzn.eu/aaXOY0b) by drilling into the soffit and then pushing these anchors through and using the setting tool to expand the wings of the anchors, and then screwing the cameras to the anchors.

How do professional, and even home users, usually install domes on soffits? Surely there is a way to properly secure them?

I have attached a picture of the soffits, the areas in red circles indicating where the cameras will be installed.

Hoping someone can kindly help...

IMG_2928.thumb.JPG.b5fa6a803d996aae338e3d70fb13b34b.JPG

I'm not a professional installer by trade, although I have installed a few cameras in my time.

To confirm, are you looking to install the cameras on the vertical or the horizontal? I ask as horizontal would be more normal, but your circles seem to be centered on the vertical.

I have used similar fixings you link to before in drywall - my concern is that the plastic soffit would be too brittle to use those and as they expand the plastic will break.

Assuming you want to effectively "hang" the cameras under the soffit, what about this type of fixing? https://goo.gl/FkHMJL. You will need a larger hole to get the fixing through but once it opens and "butterflies" then you should be good to go. Just don't over tighten (brittle plastic soffit boards)

Remember, cameras do not weigh much!

Thank you ever so much for your reply.

Sorry for the confusion too. Obviously my photoshopping skills need improving, but yes, I am looking to install the domes horizontally.

My thoughts on the brittleness of the soffits is the same - when the wings of the fixings open up they'll shatter the plastic. I guess I could try if this is the case on a discarded piece of soffit to see how well it works...

The spring toggles are a good idea too, the only downside being that they are not reusable, so if I ever want to remove the camera base for any reason I'd need to replace the toggle. I know it's not likely that I'll never remove the base, and even if I did, replacing a toggle isn't a major issue.

I have also been looking at snap toggles http://amzn.eu/1QQA9eO, they look good as a permanent fixing and should work just as well as the spring toggles, right?

Thanks again.

I had a very similar installation. I removed the soffit panels and attached a 2 x 4 between the trusses. This have me plenty of support for the cameras. Just a suggestion.

@the toss - I'm not sure what you mean by sliding a tile up, could you please elaborate? Thanks.

@ts610 - Unfortunately, I can't remove the soffit panels to put in any kind of back support, because they are glued and nailed to the drain

Based on th picture, you should be able to remove a soffit panel to do this. I believe you are thinking of the facia. The facia is the white trim running vertical on the building. There is a lip on the facia. You can bend the lip enough to allow room for a soffit panel to come out. Just be cautious when bending. You have to get them back in place and look good. I could be wrong here. I going off your pic

The lip on the facia, which holds the soffit panels in place, is extremely stiff I've tried bending it outward slightly to see if it's possible to get the soffit out, but I'm not sure it's possible. I'll have another go tonight, but yeah, it's on there pretty solid.

It can be. I just use a pair of flat head pliers to bend it. I try to be careful because you will have to reshape it with a rubber mallet or something. Of course the ideal way is to remove the facia but who wants to pull the spouting down etc? Let me know if you need some pics

Hi. Don't remove any pvc ........ Looks like the front of your house has had a conversation from garage to an extra room.

I would keep it simple and drill a hole where you want your camera ..... 2inch then I would insert 6inch length of 1 an half inch square wood ..... Run two screws into pvc then into wood ....... Keeping the two screws within the diameter of your camera base so cam covers them.

Quick draw.

image.thumb.jpeg.38b3a5650e7b82df54c6cdaa4b933212.jpeg

Question is will you be running the cabling on the outside of the building? If you plan to run the Cable up through the eve, you might as well pull the soffit. Makes it much easier. Just my opinion though.

@tomcctv You are correct - the garage has been converted. Thanks for the diagram, I will look it over.

@ts610 - I'm not planning to run the cabling on the outside. My plan is to drill a hole from under the floorboards of my daughter's bedroom (the one with the flower on the window sill) into the void of the porch roof and then somehow try to feed the cables into the hole I'll make within the soffit for the cam...