ian2000t

CCTV system advice for house

Hi, I'm looking for some advice for a CCTV system for my house, following a break in last year.

My requirements are:

- 4 external cameras with IR (possibly potential to upgrade to 8 in the future)

- Digital recorder with 2-4TB HDD (needs to be able to record 2 weeks without overwriting)

- Motion detection (PIR detection preferable, but unlikely I think)

- FTP/Email send of Motion Alerts

- Android App with Alerts preferable

I have a budget of around £3-400, but there is so much of a price range of these, that I'm struggling to know which to go for.

I have read that Hikvision are one of the better brands to go for, rather than cheapy Amazon ones like Swann, but there are a lot of different Hikvision boxes, and I'm not sure which would be best for me.

I'm also a bit confused the difference between Hikvision NVR and DVR boxes, and POE and TVI Cameras. One Hikvision box I found with 4 cameras for my price range was the Hikvision DS-7208HQHI-F1/N.

Is PIR detection possible with these kits? I currently have a standalone Ethernet camera from Aldi (Firmware and Android App is awful), but one feature I like is the PIR detection, so it doesn't end up sending notifications for bushes moving in the wind etc. or Headlights creating moving shadows.

I'm also a bit confused the difference between Hikvision NVR and DVR boxes, and POE and TVI Cameras. One Hikvision box I found with 4 cameras for my price range was the Hikvision DS-7208HQHI-F1/N.

You would need DS-7208HQHI-F1/N/A (the A at the end means alarm inputs/outputs).

Also don't buy from Amazon........ The one you listed will not work in uk.

I would look at duel cameras AHD / TVI / CVI. Then you can set the res from 2mp to 4mp giving you much better images

Your budget is good for a 8 way recorder and 4 cameras

Thanks. I've not seen the one with the "A" for sale to be honest. I'll take a look.

Which do you mean won't work in the UK, and why? I've seen plenty of the Hikvision from UK CCTV/alarm suppliers.

Thanks. I've not seen the one with the "A" for sale to be honest. I'll take a look.

Which do you mean won't work in the UK, and why? I've seen plenty of the Hikvision from UK CCTV/alarm suppliers.

The hik you posted is NTSC you need pal.

There are not many hik aurtherised sellers in the uk ........ Look at the forum and search gray hikvision........ YOU don't want to buy them you will waste your money

Hikvision p2p is based in China ....... I would use a uk based p2p

And not many installers use hikvision recorders ...... Cameras yes but you can get better recorders

You are also stuck with 2mp tvi ....... One brand

DS-7208HQHI-F1/N/A will work in the UK, and anywhere else. It supports TVI/CVI/AHD/analog, you are not stuck on one brand.

It does not support cvi ..... it’s crap and will not do 4mp across all 8 channels

12fps in first 4 ........ it’s already out of date

It does support CVI.

1000% it does not do cvi

But I was wrong on how many 1080 cams ... I thought 8 way did 4

But no only 2 and rest 720

So I stand by what I said ... it’s crap...... why buy something with so low limitation.... and over priced ...... old tech.

Direct from hikvision spec sheet.

H.264 ,H.264+& Dual-stream video compression

• Support HD-TVI, AHD and analog cameras with

adaptive access

• Up to 3 MP resolution for recording of the first channel of DS-7204HQHI-F1/N, the first 2 channels of DS-7208HQHI-F1/N

It supports CVI and it has done so since firmware v3.4.80, which is from around Dic/2016.

It supports 3MP on the first two channels, and 2MP/1080p on the rest of the channels.

It supports CVI and it has done so since firmware v3.4.80, which is from around Dic/2016.

It supports 3MP on the first two channels, and 2MP/1080p on the rest of the channels.

Firmware will never allow cvi ... also needs hardware since it’s a completely different format.... that can’t happen.

Yes it does 2mp BUT ONLY WHEN ADDING 2 only IP cameras

Again limiting the recorder

And it only does 2 3mp AHD cams ....... it will not do the AHD 4mp cameras which are now standard

Hikvision recorders have been "5in1" for a long time, and they have supported CVI for a long time. The fact that Hikvision does not care/want to advertise that fact on their web site, spec sheets, etc. (maybe since CVI is a competitors format) does not change that, I do not actually know their reasons.

I know well the specs on that unit. It does 3MP on the first two channels; it can do 2MP on all 8 channels; and you can also add 2 extra IP cameras, making a total of 10 channels.

Tom, if you do not know what you are talking about, you shouldn't do it (quoting you: "1000% it does not do cvi", when you have no clue). You do not use Hikvision products, feel free to bash them as much as you want, but do not expect to know how a product works better than someone that actually does use it . So I said it supported CVI since 3.4.80, on 72HQHI-Fx it actually came even sooner.

305072_1.jpg

Wow you can’t read specs ..... sit back and read it slow.

Also go back 10 years on the forum we have been selling hik for over 15 years

Did you see on your link the 72 is not listed 73 onwards will do cvi.

And all above that.

You can not just change firmware and use cvi or every company would just be sending firmware ..... units need hardware as well hence reason why it’s only available on 73 and over 72s finish end of March

And still 1000% it does not do cvi ..... even your spec says it does not.

I will highlight it in blue for you ..... 72 is not listed. 73 onwards for 5 in 1 ..... it does not add cvi to 72

V3.4.80. Only allows security updates to the old 72 nothing else.

Securame ...... we are discussing the DS72

And I don’t bash hikvision but I do point out limitation that restrict to a recorder that is out of date and that means wasting money.

You sell Hikvision? Well, then you might as well use it a little bit, so you would know what you are selling. You could just go grab a DS-72xxHQHI-Fx unit, plug a 2MP CVI camera on any channel you like, and see it working. That would be amazing to see, since you are 1000% sure it does not support CVI.

From the 3.4.80 Release notes (I will not bother looking for 3.4.70 or 3.4.75):

Newly supports TVI/AHD/CVI/CVBS/IP for whatever series, for other Turbo HD 3.0 units it is already supported since 3.4.70 or 3.4.75.

Now go and check out if the 72xxHQHI-Fx units belong to Turbo HD 3.0 (yes, they do). I just do not like feeding trolls, and sorry to the OP since all this has not much to do with his question.

You sell Hikvision? Well, then you might as well use it a little bit, so you would know what you are selling. You could just go grab a DS-72xxHQHI-Fx unit, plug a 2MP CVI camera on any channel you like, and see it working. That would be amazing to see, since you are 1000% sure it does not support CVI.

From the 3.4.80 Release notes (I will not bother looking for 3.4.70 or 3.4.75):

Newly supports TVI/AHD/CVI/CVBS/IP for whatever series, for other Turbo HD 3.0 units it is already supported since 3.4.70 or 3.4.75.

Now go and check out if the 72xxHQHI-Fx units belong to Turbo HD 3.0 (yes, they do). I just do not like feeding trolls, and sorry to the OP since all this has not much to do with his question.

Do you not get it ..... yes it’s part of the turbo range and yes it has new firmware ..... for security problems that hit hikvision in November

Still does no alter the fact even your own spec says it is not supported ........... and for you to even think updating firmware allows to add cvi without needing hardware .... is crazy

72 can’t do tvi 3rd gen because no hardware 73 onwards can because hardware was added in manufacturing also allowing for cvi and the new tvi and AHD

Your argument is with yourself ...... I gave you hik spec ...... you replied with your own spec ........ even that tells you it’s not upgradable as it only covers 73 onwards...... and your still arguing

As far as checking one out ...... I already know which is the reason why I tried to talk op out of buying and to buy better for the money

1080 720 at only 12fps is crap .......

OK, this seems to have gone off topic a bit.

So, Tom, can you recommend other than Hikvision?

Securaname, would I be better off looking at something newer like the DS-76XX range from Hikvision then?

Also, what is the real difference between an "NVR" and a "DVR" system, to me, a home user? As far as I can tell, they both connect to the network/internet for integration with Android/iOS Apps etc.

305083_1.jpg

305083_2.jpg

Securaname, would I be better off looking at something newer like the DS-76XX range from Hikvision then?

It depends on your budget and what you are looking for. If 2MP CVI/TVI/AHD is enough for you, then this DVR is good enough, as long as you keep in mind you will not be able to update to cameras with higher resolution.

I agree that DS-7208HQHI-F1/N/A is a unit that is being phased out and if it was for myself I would be looking at something better. And no matter what technology you use I would be using UTP wiring (if you go for CVI/TVI/AHD you can use baluns). If you can go for IP that would be great, but I do not know if it will fit your budget.

Securame.

Do you have a clue what a troll is.

Same again. It does not say it adds cvi to a 72. It's a firmware update but will only add parts of firmware to that model.

This is why people are starting to use something else.

Restricted camera res to be used ....... If I want an 8 way for my money I expect an 8 way ...... Same fps and same resolution across all 8 ............. Messing about buying 3mp cameras and not being able to use them to full extent. That is a sad way for hikvision to trade

OK, this seems to have gone off topic a bit.

So, Tom, can you recommend other than Hikvision?

Also, what is the real difference between an "NVR" and a "DVR" system, to me, a home user? As far as I can tell, they both connect to the network/internet for integration with Android/iOS Apps etc.

Hikvision is not a big seller in the uk. Buying from eBay or Amazon is always a big mistake as you don't get any hikvision support.

Dvr vs NVR

Dvr is analog BNC connection ...... The network side is only data cable from recorder to your router. Most DVRs are now multi format cvi tvi ahd and standard analog but they do go out of date quick as cvi and tvi and AHD tech progress which is why you see good systems 8 way with 4 cameras power supply for under £300 because they only cope with 2mp analog HD......... The industry is already at 4mp for analog.

NVRs is full network as in data cable (cat5) to each camera and also unlike a dvr it supplies power from the NVR .... Known as POE ..power over eithernet which makes install much easier...... Cameras are known as IP cameras resolution from 1mp 2-3-4-5 -8 and even higher 4mp is standard for home use and the network is the same as dvr just connect recorder to your router.

Thanks for clarifying the difference between NVR/DVR. I think I would rather go NVR if it will fit my budget.

I have been looking at genuine Hikvision suppliers in UK, but you are right, there aren't too many.

So, given my budget, what would you suggest...? Hikvision, or an alternative?

Thanks for clarifying the difference between NVR/DVR. I think I would rather go NVR if it will fit my budget.

I have been looking at genuine Hikvision suppliers in UK, but you are right, there aren't too many.

So, given my budget, what would you suggest...? Hikvision, or an alternative?

I know hik is not available from aurtherised uk. There are only a few

Cameras are available but recorders are not popular.

I still say look at qvis viper NVR much better spec it a uk product

The below re-sellers of Hickvision are all in the UK all give assurances that their stock is UK Hickvision stock and with full warranty. The first 3 of the below state on their website that they are Autorised Hickvisin sellers. Number 4 below give an assurance that they sell Genuine Hickvision UK stock with Full support and warranty.

1. Ue-IP : https://www.use-ip.co.uk/hikvision-ds-2de3204w-de-mini-ptz.html

2. NETVIEW CCTV:

3. CCTVtek : https://www.cctvtek.co.uk

4. RF Concepts : https://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/hikvision.html

It would be against UK trading standards to describe yourself falsely and all the above seem to be genuine UK traders that are established. If the above are not Autorised to sell Hickvision then would someone correct me.

I am currently thinking of buying/upgrading my current equipment and the above are a few sellers that I have earmarked for Hickvision purchases.

Check them out and let us know.

Hi. Out of your list there is only one aurtherised distributor. And that is use-IP. And like I said hikvision cameras are easy to get its recorders that are not ..... Use-IP only sells cameras

2 and 3 are only sellers ...... And 1 of the companies does sell gray market ........ They have 3 cameras listed that hikvision have never used that camera design

RF concepts ........ As you can check on forum we have a relationship with and for a long time ............ The biggest CCTV company in Ireland and honest in everything they sell.

So only two out of your list.

Don't confuse aurtherised with UK seller. And it's easy to check ask for authorisation number.

Hi. Out of your list there is only one aurtherised distributor. And that is use-IP. And like I said hikvision cameras are easy to get its recorders that are not ..... Use-IP only sells cameras

2 and 3 are only sellers ...... And 1 of the companies does sell gray market ........ They have 3 cameras listed that hikvision have never used that camera design

RF concepts ........ As you can check on forum we have a relationship with and for a long time ............ The biggest CCTV company in Ireland and honest in everything they sell.

So only two out of your list.

Don't confuse aurtherised with UK seller. And it's easy to check ask for authorisation number.

Thank you Tom for your reply.

RF Concepts

I recently made a purchase from RF Concepts and although I am sad to say one item had to be returned it was pretty easy and painless. knowing that you endorse this company is quite reassuring (pricing is competitive too).

CCTVTek

I am surprised, Tom, that you say this company are not a HICKVISION AUTORISED WHOLESELLER because they have a Hickvision logo on their site stating that they are?

This is also what they have on their site Tom: "CCTVTEK Authorised Hikvision Wholesaler Partner in the UK"

I would have thought that Hickvision UK would have taken action against this company if they were illegally describing their trading status with Hickvision UK.

So Tom just to clarify if possible you say "so only two" but also say ONLY USE-IP is a HIckvision Authorised Distributor of Hickvision? So what are RF Concepts then? apart from a very honest large trading company in the UK? What I am asking are they Authorised by Hickvision to sell Hickvision?