cctv_down_under

Consumers Guide to CCTV

Has anyone ever seen a book that exists like this, I think it would be very handy to have a leaflet that could be handed to customers to help the customer make an informed decision

nope, havent seen one yet. If you right it ill be the first to buy a copy!

I think alot of people who know the stuff probably feel they dont have the time to do this, or that it will take away their business as most do this on a per quote basis. Id still like it if there was one available, something that would actually make it easier for us, less explaining so less work in the long run, and then we can just sell sell sell

I bought a CCTV installation/service manual book from LTC training out of the US, very detailed book, but it is pretty old though selling as new ( a few years). Technology has changed since they wrote it, but still it is very useful a its good to know old school tech and methods, so new technology is then so much easier

I would think getting an inhouse pamphlet would be best for your business, because it will feature each product and would give a background at the same time helping you sell your products. You have to remember as a consumer, your customer will take the knowledge and shop around.. you will end up being a competitor with the other guy who did no work to get your customers, not to mention the internet.. I dont know your business but for my store I shopped around for freezers and meat displayers, for the most part I went with a local dealer with great prices but for a freezer i took a risk and bought out of the internet, I got the same warrantee as the local guy and saved 400 bucks.. plus it shipped faster. there is a downside to it ofcourse, for the most part you dont see who you are buying from.., if any problems, you have to deal with customer service over the phone...

any way for me , this forum worked for me and if there was a manual I would jump on it (if its not too technical) no time for that like most people..

maybe forums like this will be standard areas for information and new business..

i thought you might like a non industry guy's opininion,

z

I have to agree with Mr. Z. Most companies that have brochures make them in house and promote their own products. If at all possible you don't want someone to know model numbers and brand names. Some companies go to the trouble of putting their own model numbers on the equipment so you can't shop them. The huge amount on the internet for CCTV does complicate things from the dealers point of view but luckily many CCTV projects are still too complicated for the average consumer to install and since it is usually a one time project they would rather pay someone else to do it rather than learn a whole new set of skills just for one job.

I have to agree with Mr. Z. Most companies that have brochures make them in house and promote their own products. If at all possible you don't want someone to know model numbers and brand names. Some companies go to the trouble of putting their own model numbers on the equipment so you can't shop them. The huge amount on the internet for CCTV does complicate things from the dealers point of view but luckily many CCTV projects are still too complicated for the average consumer to install and since it is usually a one time project they would rather pay someone else to do it rather than learn a whole new set of skills just for one job.

Yep, im doing that right now, in the hope that I will either have the money to start my own video shop in the new year (like march), or Ill have a partner who will fund it (have 3 possibilities, 1 is serious and has local electronic stores already, and the cash to fund).

Im adding the most popular and useful cameras, and not all or too many brands, still working on it, will post a link once its done. One thing I realised is that I cant just use one brand name for everything, as they all have their products that appeal over the others in certain areas.

Making just a product catalogue right now, taking forever.

Alan, you've been in the biz for a while, do you have any example flyers or brochurs you could spare with us? thanks .

Also, a video shop here in Nassau will be a monopoly as there is none here yet.

What a cool site, that is just what I meant, howver I will eventually write a consumers guide book to give to the customer to ward off the cheap guys selling crappy products, you can all have a free copy when done.. should be some time in the next 50 yrs